What is it?
A zoning certificate application is a
review process done separately
from, and prior to, a full building
permit submission. Zoning
Certificate approval is a
prerequisite for a building permit
Zoning Certificate FAQ
Why is the Township doing this?
The Township is doing this to streamline the building permit process, in compliance with current
Building Code legislation. At this stage, planning staff will flag any additional fees that will be collected
at building permit such as Development Charges, Water or Sewer Connections, and additional
approvals that may be required, such as:
• Conservation Authority (Nottawasaga Valley CA or Lake Simcoe Region CA)
• Engineered Lot Grading (Engineering Review)
• Minor Variance/Consent
• Ontario Land Surveyor Pinning
• Entrance Permit (and associated Municipal Address Number, if required)
• Ministry of Transportation or County Roads
Is there a fee for this service?
• There is a $100.00 non-refundable fee for the original zoning certificate application
• There is a $50.00 non-refundable fee for any revision to an approved zoning certificate
• There is a $15.00 911/MAS fee (if applicable)
How long is a zoning certificate approval valid for?
An approved zoning certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance.
What form of approval is provided?
Approved applications receive a zoning certificate. The drawings are stamped to identify they have
been pre-approved for zoning regulations. This is not a permit to construct. Please refer to the
appropriate permit applications (refer to Building Permit Checklist, Pool/Fence Permit or Sign Permit).
Where do I send the application and documents?
Applications may be submitted physically to the Township’s Administration Building, or
digitally to: email@example.com
It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that they are aware of their property lines and to
ensure that the proposed construction occurs within their property and in compliance with the
Township’s Zoning By-Law.
Requirements for all submissions:
Completed Application Form
Elevations (front, back & sides)
Physical submissions must have one legible copy of
site plan/drawings (11’ x 17” or 8.5” x 11”) or one set in
Adobe Acrobat.pdf format on USB.
FILES MUST BE UNSECURED AND NOT PASSWORD