Yuba Community College District
Financial Aid Offices
2088 North Beale Road
Marysville, CA 95901
Woodland Community College
2300 East Gibson Road
Woodland, CA 95776
15880 Dam Road Extension
Clearlake, CA 95422
2020-2021 Request for Dependency Override Renewal
This form is for dependent students who do not meet the federal criteria for “independent” status as outlined
on the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) but who would like to have their unique
circumstances reviewed in order to be considered an independent student for financial aid purposes.
If you were granted a dependency override for the 2019-2020 academic year and are still estranged from your
parents due to extenuating or unusual circumstances (i.e. abuse, family alcoholism, drug abuse) you may apply
for a renewal of your dependency status. You are required to submit a Request for Dependency Override
Renewal. The Financial Aid Office needs to verify that there has been no change in your status since your
dependency override was approved.
ATTENTION: The following circumstances are not considered viable reasons for independent status:
• You do not reside with your parents.
• Your parents refuse to pay for your college education.
• Your parents do not claim you on their tax return.
• Your parents are not financially able to pay for your college education.
• Your parents are not willing to complete the parent section of the FAFSA.
• You do not rely on your parents for support, financially or otherwise.
1. File the 2020-2021 FAFSA on the Web.
2. Submit all required forms and documents to the Financial Aid Office at the campus you attend.
3. DO NOT leave any questions unanswered. Incomplete requests will NOT be reviewed.
4. Complete ALL forms in ink.
5. Attach ALL required documentation (refer to list below).
1. Personal Statement: Attach a typed statement (letter) that explains your "unusual" circumstance".
Don’t forget to include your name, student ID and signature on your letter.
Include the following information:
• The whereabouts of your biological father and biological mother.
• The last contact you had with each of your parents.
• The nature of your relationship with your parents.
• Why you cannot obtain information and/or support from your parents.
• Your living arrangements during the last year.
• How you have supported yourself during the last year.
• Any changes that have occurred since you last submitted your dependency override request.