SB146 e-form (3/15) PAGE 3
• Submit this form if you are a Tier III, IV, or VI member and you rendered service for a public employer within
New York State before joining TRS. This service may be creditable in TRS, so TRS will research your service
claim and will send you a Cost Letter reﬂecting the amount of service credit available for purchase. After
purchase, this credit would be considered “prior service credit.” (Prior service is any creditable service
you rendered with a New York City and/or New York State public employer before joining TRS that was not
transferred to TRS.)
• Before completing this form, please note the following:
If you rendered service for the New York City Department of Education (DOE) before joining TRS: Do NOT
enter it on this form, since TRS already has your DOE service records and will contact you separately about prior
service credit you have available for purchase.
If you have membership in another New York City or New York State retirement system and are transferring
membership to TRS: Do NOT ﬁle this form until the transfer is complete. Since your transfer may result in an earlier
membership date or different tier, the cost to purchase service credit may be different. To initiate a membership
transfer, contact your other retirement system.
If you are a former member of TRS or any other New York City or New York State public retirement system:
It may be to your advantage to apply for reinstatement to your previous membership and/or tier (if you have not
already transferred your membership to TRS). For more information, see the “Membership/Tier Reinstatement
Request Form” (code SD42); if you want to apply for reinstatement, ﬁle that form instead. Once your reinstatement
is completed, you may ﬁle this “Record of Prior Service.”
If you performed military service: For more information, see the “Military Service Credit Request Form”
(code SD68); if you want to apply for this service credit, ﬁle that form instead.
AFTER FILING THIS FORM
• Upon receipt of this form, TRS will contact your former employer(s) to verify your prior service.
• Upon verication of your prior service, TRS will send you a Cost Letter and purchase election form indicating the cost
to purchase this service credit and the payment options available to you. We will include in the Cost Letter the amount
of prior service the employer(s) veriﬁes, which may be different from what you indicate on this form.
• You are not required to purchase any of your prior service credit. However, if you take no action after receiving
your Cost Letter, automatic payroll deductions may begin. Your Cost Letter will explain this and your other options.
• Prior service will be credited after you have completed at least two years of membership service and upon payment
to TRS. After your prior service is credited, it will be reected in a Total Service Letter and your Annual Benets
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
CONTINUED ON PAGE 4
RECORD OF PRIOR SERVICE
(FOR TIERS III, IV, AND VI MEMBERS)