10. After the dust settled and the new borders drawn, the ________________ found
their land divided among four countries: Syria, Turkey, Iran, and Iraq.
11. The United States has had major ________________ and _________________
interests in Southwest Asia since the 1800s.
12. The United States helped with __________________ between countries after
the fall of the Ottoman Empire and has been one of the biggest supporters of
_________________ since 1948.
13. As the 21st century began, the United States focused on Southwest Asia with
the goal of trying to end __________________ and promote
_________________ within the region.
14. This war was called the _______________ _______________ conflict and is
sometimes referred to as Operation Desert Storm. It began in August 1990,
when Iraq invaded ________________ in an attempt to gain control over
________________ large supplies of oil.
15. After these terrible attacks, United States intelligence sources identified a
_________________ group called al-Qaeda, or “the Force,” as the people who
had planned and carried out the attack.
16. One of the goals of _________________ was to stop the influence of American
and European culture in Southwest Asia.
17. As a result of this view that _________________ was a threat, the United
States invaded _______________ in 2003. This invasion is often referred to as
18. In 2005, elections were held in ________________ for the first time in many
years, but the new government was not strong or stable, and conflict continued
throughout the country.