1. For thousands of years, the land that became Canada was inhabited by
_________________ (native) people.
2. The arrival of __________________ changed the way of life for the indigenous
3. After being explored and colonized by the _________________, Canada
became part of the Kingdom of ________________ _______________ in 1763
as a result of France’s defeat in the French and Indian War.
4. By the mid-1860s, people in Canada wanted to be ________________ and be
able to rule their country themselves in a manner similar to the United States.
They asked the British Parliament to create a __________________ allowing
for increased self-government.
5. A __________________ is a self-governing nation of the Commonwealth of
Nations other than the United Kingdom that acknowledges the British monarch
as chief of state.
6. In 1931, the British Parliament granted _________________ to Canada.
7. It was not until 1982 that the final links were ______________ between the
and the Canadian government.
8. Even though the French lost Canada in 1763, the legacy of the French is still
alive in the province of ________________.
9. According to 2011 Canadian census data, about 20 percent of Canadians speak
________________ as their first language, but 81 percent of the people in
________________ speak French as their first language.