WPI DATA SCIENCE Ph.D PLAN of STUDY
STUDENT NAME: WPI ID:
1. Core Breadth Competency: Students must take a course from each of five Core DS Categories - 15 credits.
2. Core Depth Competency: Students must take 2 additional courses from any of 5 Core DS Categories - 6 credits.
3. Only courses with a B grade or higher may be counted toward the Ph.D. Competency Requirements.
4. Students must earn an A in 4 of the 7 Core Competency Category Courses to meet Ph.D. Competency Requirements.
CORE COMPETENCY CATEGORIES
Students without prior background in a Core DS Category are advised to take the course listed with a star. *
With prior advior approval, students may submit a petition to take a course other than those in a Core DS Category.
1. INTEGRATIVE DATA SCIENCE: Semester Grade
DS 501 * Introduction to Data Science
2. MATHEMATICAL ANALYTICS: Semester
DS 502/MA 543 * Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
MA 542 Regression Analysis
MA 554 Applied Multivariate Analysis
3. DATA ACCESS and MANAGEMENT: Semester
CS 542 * Database Management Systems
MIS 571 * Database Applications Development
CS 561 Advanced Topics in Database systems
DS 503/CS 585 Big Data Management
4. DATA ANALYTICS and MINING: Semester Grade
CS 548 * Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
CS 539 Machine Learning
DS 504/CS 586 Big Data Analytics
5. BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE and CASE STUDIES: Semester
MIS 584 * Business Intelligence
MKT 568 Data Mining Business Applications
APPROVED PETITIONED COURSES
You can file a petition to have other courses counted toward the core compentency requirement.
COURSE TITLE CREDITS GRADE OTHER
STUDENT, FACULTY and GRADUATE ADVISOR SIGNATURES
ADVISOR SIGNATURE: Date:
COORDINATOR SIGNATURE: Date:
Once signed by your Faculty Advisor and yourself, please bring to the Data Science office, FL 242.