Volga German Society Oktoberfest Scholarship Application
The Volga German Society Oktoberfest Scholarship is intended for students who attend or are planning
on attending Fort Hays State University (FHSU) or North Central Kansas Technical College (NCK-Tech)
full time in the following fall semester. A non-renewable $500 scholarship will be awarded to one student
attending FHSU and one student from NCK-Tech. Recipients can expect to receive half of the awarded
funds in the fall semester and the remaining half in the spring semester. All applications must be
submitted to the Oktoberfest Scholarship Committee by February 15. All application materials must be
submitted to the Volga German Society, “Attn: Oktoberfest Scholarship Committee.”
● Applicant must be currently enrolled or officially accepted at either Fort Hays State University or
North Central Kansas Technical College.
● Applicant must plan to attend one of the aforementioned schools full-time in the subsequent
● Applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
● Applicant must demonstrate they are descendant of settlers from Ellis or Rush Counties (see
● Preference will be given in the following order:
1. Volga German Descendants from Ellis or Rush Counties (Kansas).
2. Descendants from Germans from Russia.
3. Students that graduated from a high school in a county that lies on or west of US
● Application and all submitted materials must be typed.
● Supply a copy of your most current transcript with their application.
● Recipient must make themselves available to attend a reception in their honor at a date
determined by the Oktoberfest Board and are expected to make themselves available to volunteer
● Return application and all other documents by mail to:
Attn: Oktoberfest Scholarship Committee
Volga German Society
PO Box 1314
Hays, KS 67601-1314