Privacy Act Information: VA is asking you to provide the information on this form under 38 U.S.C. Sections
111 to determine your eligibility for Beneficiary Travel benefits and will be used for that purpose. Information you
supply may be verified through a computer-matching program. VA may disclose the information that you put on
the form as permitted by law; possible disclosures include those described in the “routine use" identified in the
VA systems of records 24VA19 Patient Medical Record-VA, published in the Federal Register in accordance
with the Privacy Act of 1974. Providing the requested information is voluntary, but if any or all of the requested
information is not provided, it may delay or result in denial of your request for benefits. Failure to furnish the
information will not have any effect on any other benefits to which you may be entitled. If you provide VA your
Social Security Number, VA will use it to administer your VA benefits. VA may also use this information to
identify Veterans and persons claiming or receiving VA benefits and their records, and for other purposes
authorized or required by law.
The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 requires VA to notify you that this information collection is in
accordance with the clearance requirements of Section 3507 of this Act. We anticipate the time expended by
individuals who must complete this form will average 3 minutes. This includes the time it will take to read
instructions, gather the necessary facts and fill out the form. No person will be penalized for failing to furnish
this information if it does not display a currently valid OMB control number. This information is collected under
38 CFR 70 and is intended to fulfill the need for Veterans and beneficiaries to claim Beneficiary Travel benefits
and for VA to determine the individual's eligibility for the benefit.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING
VETERAN/BENEFICIARY CLAIM FOR REIMBURSEMENT OF TRAVEL EXPENSES
Who is Eligible for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses
1. Veterans rated by VA 30% or more service-connected for travel relating to any condition
2. Veterans rated by VA less than 30% for travel relating to their service-connected condition
3. Veterans receiving VA pension benefits for travel relating to any condition
4. Veterans with annual income below the maximum applicable annual rate of pension for any condition
5. Veterans who are unable to defray the cost of travel (as defined in current Beneficiary Travel regulations)
6. Veterans traveling in relation to a Compensation and Pension (C&P) examination
7. Certain Veterans in certain emergency situations
8. Beneficiaries of other Federal Agencies when authorized by that agency
9. Allied beneficiaries when authorized by appropriate foreign government agency
10. Certain non-Veterans when related to care of a Veteran (Caregivers under the National Caregivers
Program, medically required attendants, VA transplant care donor and support person, or other claimants
subject to current regulatory guidelines)
1. The claimant or legal representative of claimant may complete this form.
2. Allied beneficiaries and beneficiaries of other federal agencies are not required to complete Section A,
3. The form may be presented in person or mailed to VA health care facility where care was provided.
Addresses of VA health care facilities can be found at: http://www.va.gov/directory
Note: The claim for
travel benefits may also be done in person at a VA health care facility.
4. Application for travel reimbursement must be done within 30 days of travel. Exception: application
beyond 30 days may occur when claim is a result of change in Beneficiary Travel eligibility.
5. Receipts are required for allowable non-mileage expenses, e.g., bridge, road and tunnel tolls; parking;
ferry fares; meals; lodging; and transport by bus, train, taxi or other public transportation. Prior approval
is required for meals and lodging.
6. Application will be evaluated to determine eligibility for travel benefits and services received. If eligible, the
claim will be processed for payment at currently authorized rate subject to any required deductibles.
7. Payment will be by electronic funds transfer (EFT) unless other arrangements have been made.
8. For assistance in completing the form, call 1-877-222-VETS (8387)