Name: ______________________________ Date: ___________________
All About “They Might Be Dangerous”
The elements of fiction are the different parts that make up a story. Understanding the
elements can help you better understand the story.
READING AND WRITING
Elements of Fiction
“They Might Be Dangerous,” pages 20-25
©2018 BY SCHOLASTIC INC. TEACHERS MAY MAKE COPIES OF THIS PAGE TO DISTRIBUTE TO THEIR STUDENTS.
Directions: Answer the questions below to better understand how the elements of “They Might Be
Dangerous” come together to make an interesting story.
Characters (the people in the story)
1. Zak is an important character in the story. Write a few things you know about him (how he behaves,
what he cares about, and so on).
2. Alia is another character. Write a few things you know about her.
Setting (where the story takes place)
3. At the beginning, where does the story appear to be taking place? How do you know?
4. What do you learn about the setting by the end of the story?
Conflict (the big problem or question)
5. What big issue do Zak and Alia disagree about?
6. What agreement do they finally make? Why?
Theme (the big idea)
7. How does Zak feel about the way things turn out?
8. What message about new things and people do you think the author is expressing through the story?