Los Angeles Southwest College
Financial Aid Office
1600 W Imperial Highway
Los Angeles, CA 90047
Student Services Building #104
2020-2021 SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS
PETITION FOR EXTENSION OF FINANCIAL AID
Last Name First Name Middle Initial
Student ID Number
Federal financial aid regulations require schools to establish a maximum time limit on financial aid. The Los Angeles
Community College District Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy states that the maximum timeframe for a
transfer or Associate degree program is 90 attempted units. Students who have attempted 90 or more units, completed a
transfer program, or completed an Associate degree or higher must complete the Extension petition process for continued
financial aid consideration. It is MANDATORY that you attend an SAP Workshop prior to submitting a petition.
1. Complete the attached petition form if you are requesting an extension of financial aid eligibility. Your petition should
address reasons other than financial need for extending your financial aid eligibility. Financial need is assumed.
Attach any additional documentation to support your petition.
2. Your petition must be completed legibly in ink or typed and contain your complete substantiated explanation of
circumstances that contributed to your exceeding the maximum time frame for your current degree/certificate program
and/or your reasoning for returning for a new degree/certificate after completing an Associate or higher degree. An
incomplete petition will be returned to you. You must complete your petition form before continuing to Step 3 below.
3. You need to make an appointment with your Academic Counselor to define your educational plan/major and to
determine the minimum remaining classes required to meet your educational goal. EOP&S and CalWORKS students
should meet with their respective counselors. Your Student Educational Plan (SEP) is in the SIS system and the you
must see an Academic Counselor to ensure that your SEP is updated.
4. Submit your completed petition form and other supporting documents in the SIS system. You must be enrolled in at
least one unit at Los Angeles Southwest College or have LASC listed as your home campus prior to submission.
(If you can not submit a Petition on-line, please contact the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com. )
5. The Financial Aid Committee or their designee will review your petition and notify you in writing of the decision usually
within 25 days from the receipt of your petition. (You must attend an SAP Workshop before your petition will be
6. Approval for financial aid will only be for the classes approved by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee (FAAC) or their
designee; courses on the SEP may be deemed unnecessary by the FAAC or their designee. Once an appeal has been
submitted no revisions permitted. It is your responsibility to review your SEP prior to submitting your petition to the
Financial Aid Office. If you decide to take classes that are not listed on your SEP, you will not receive payment for
these classes. SAP Contract updates can only come from a Counselor who submits a CSEP directly to Financial Aid.
7. If your Petition is denied, you have the option of submitting one re-appeal prior to the semester deadline date.
8. Submission Dates:Fall 2020: 08/25/20 - 11/19/20 | Spring 2021 02/1/21 - 05/6/21 | Summer 2021: 06/1/21 - 07/20/21
Questions regarding this process can be directed to the Los Angeles Southwest College Financial Aid Office. For
additional information on the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, please read the information attached. For general
financial aid information and deadlines, please visit the Los Angeles Southwest Financial Aid Office website at
DATE PETITION WAS SUBMITTED ___________________
You must attend an SAP Workshop