Name: ______________________________ Date: ___________________
Text features are the different parts of a text, such as a headline, an image, or a photo
caption. Each feature provides information.
READING AND WRITING
“Hands Are Gross!,” page 32
December 2017/January 2018
©2017 BY SCHOLASTIC INC. TEACHERS MAY MAKE COPIES OF THIS PAGE TO DISTRIBUTE TO THEIR STUDENTS.
Directions: Use text features from “Hands Are Gross!” to answer the questions below.
1. The captions for the main image on the infographic mention four types of germs. Write the four
types of germs below. We’ve done one for you.
2. There are five smaller images at the bottom of the page. What do the smaller images all show?
3. The box on the right side of the infographic contains four facts that include numbers.
What’s the largest number? __________________________________________________________
Which fact includes that number?
4. Find a fact in the infographic that surprises or interests you. Write it below in your own words.
5. Based on the words and images, what is the overall message of the infographic? (Hint: Reread
the headline and the subhead.)