08/28/2020 City of Chamblee Development Department
5576 Peachtree Rd, Ste 102 • Chamblee, GA 30341 • 770-986-5010 • chambleega.gov
TEMPORARY SIGN REGULATIONS
Per Section 260-10 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).
All signs, regardless of type, must comply with the following regulations:
Location of Signs:
1. No sign or sign structure shall extend into or above or be anchored or placed in any portion of a public right-of-
2. Signs shall be located a minimum of ten feet from the back of curb/edge of pavement or one foot onto private
property, whichever results in the greater setback from the street. Any signs not located adjacent to a street
shall be setback a minimum of five feet from property lines.
3. See Section 230-7 for sight distance and visibility at intersections. Signs may not be placed in a way that
impacts driver visibility at street intersections.
1. Double-faced signs - For double-faced signs, when the sign face surfaces are, parallel (back-to-back), or where
the smallest angle formed between the two faces is 60 degrees or less, the area of the sign shall be taken as
the area on the largest side. For double-faced signs where the interior angle formed by the faces is more than
60 degrees, the area of the sign shall be the total area of all sides.
2. Three-faced or more signs – Please contact us if you are considering the installation of a sign with 3 or more
faces and are unable to determine how to measure this sign as explained in Section 260-10 of the UDO.
PERMITTED TYPES OF TEMPORARY SIGNS
PART 1: For Sale and/or For Lease Signs
1. During the period a building or premises is available for sale or lease, one freestanding sign per street frontage
is permitted in the VC, TOD, MU-BC, CVC, CC, A, IT, I and PUD zoning districts*.
2. For a multitenant center (with individual suites accessible by their own exterior door), one additional
temporary sign may be placed on each tenant space that is available for sale or lease.
3. Such sign shall be removed within 10 days of a real estate closing or execution of a lease agreement.
Maximum sign dimensions:
Area: 20 square feet
Height: Six feet (if freestanding)
Special requirements for signs during subdivision construction:
1. During construction of a multi-parcel subdivision, one additional
sign may be placed at each entrance into the subdivision. These
signs may not exceed 32 square feet in area or eight feet in
2. Such signs shall be removed when the last lot or house has been sold or if no building permit has been issued
for construction within the subdivision or development during a period of 12 months, whichever comes first.
* visit https://chamblee.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e86681311a8a434984e9cced0e4d470e to identify
your zoning district