State University of New York
College of Agriculture and Technology
Cobleskill, New York 12043
Office of the Registrar
Complete the data below as it currently appears on our records. Please print clearly.
Last Name:
First Name:
Student ID Number:
Date of Birth:
City & State
Change of PERMANENT ADDRESS* (Requires documentation (2 forms): driver’s license or NYS ID, voter or vehicle
registration, proof of property or lease agreement, federal or state tax returns and/or utility bill)
City & State
City & State
1) In the absence of evidence to the contrary, current New York State Rulings are that the permanent address of all undergraduate students under 22 years of age is
considered to be the address of the parent.
2) Change in permanent address from out-of-state to in-state, or to the local area will not be accepted without appropriate documentation. Please see reverse side of this
form for further details regarding residency as it pertains to the tuition policy.
3) All first semester students are obligated to a 2 year residency on campus. All transfer students are obligated to a 1 year residency on campus. Changes will not be
made to a permanent address until it is confirmed a student has met obligated residency requirements on campus.
Change of Name (Requires documentation: Marriage Cert., Divorce Decree or Court Order including both names)
Change Date of Birth Date (Requires documentation: Birth Certificate)
Change Social Security Number (Requires documentation: Social Security card or W-9S Form)
Change Gender (Requires documentation: Court Order, Drivers License, U.S. Passport)
Signature of student or
parent/legal guardian: __________________________________________ Date: ________________________
See Reverse for Residency Requirements
Eligibility Basics
At SUNY's State-operated campuses (University Centers, University Colleges, and Technology Colleges), students are generally considered New
York State residents if they have established their domicile in New York State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration
period of a particular term.
1. Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of
registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
2. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for
the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York State domicile if the custodial
parent is a New York State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and the student
intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.
3. Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.
4. Note: Non-resident students may be eligible for resident tuition if they have graduated from a New York high school or received a NYS
GED within 5 years of application to SUNY. See below for details under exceptions to the Domicile Rule.
Determination of Domicile
To determine a student's domicile, campuses use the following principles:
1. A person may have multiple residences but only one domicile.
2. A person retains a domicile until it is abandoned.
3. Physical presence alone does not establish domicile or residency.
Proof of Domicile
Campuses rely on documents and circumstances such as, but not limited to, the following to determine if an individual's domicile is in New York
State. For financially dependent students, the campus relies on documents relating to the parents or legal guardian.
1. Duration of physical presence in NY.
2. State of residency of the student's family.
3. NY State voter registration.
4. NY State driver's license.
5. NY State motor vehicle registration.
6. NY State real property ownership.
7. NY State residential rental lease.
8. NY State income tax returns.
Questions about resident and non-resident tuition rates should be directed to the Student Accounts Office at each SUNY campus.
Exceptions to the Domicile Rule:
Military Personnel
1. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces while on full-time active duty and stationed within New York State, as well as their dependents, are
eligible for the resident tuition rate.
2. Dependents of full-time active duty personnel who are stationed outside NY State qualify for resident tuition if the service member's
"Home of Record" is New York.
3. Civilian employees of the military are not included in these exceptions to the domicile requirements.
Immigrant, Non-immigrant, Undocumented Students and Other Non-residents
1. Students claiming to be immigrants must present proof of their status by providing the campus with a valid Permanent Resident Card. Once
a student's immigrant status has been verified, the student may then establish New York State residency by meeting the domicile criteria.
See Proof of Domicile (above).
2. Non-immigrants are grouped in categories depending on the type of visa presented at the port of entry. Non-immigrants admitted to the
United States in categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not eligible for resident tuition.
3. In general, the Federal Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act prohibits students who are unable to present valid
documentation of their alien status from eligibility for the resident tuition rate.
4. Non-resident students, including undocumented students, who attend for at least two years and graduate from a New York high school may
be eligible for resident tuition. See the campus Student Accounts Office (Bursar) for details and to apply for resident tuition.
Glossary of Terms
Some terms used in this document have special meaning in the University's Resident Tuition policy:
1. Domicile - A fixed permanent home to which an individual intends to return whenever absent.
2. Emancipation, Financial Independence - Students under the age of 22 must provide evidence of one year of independent living in order to
be considered emancipated.
3. "Home of Record" - Part of an armed services record which indicates the state of residency upon joining the military.
4. Immigrant Students - Students who lawfully reside in the United States on a permanent basis and hold a valid Permanent Resident Card
(green card).
5. Non-immigrant Students - Students who enter the United States on a temporary basis for a specific purpose.
6. Undocumented Students - Students unable to document their lawful immigration status in the United States.
7. Non-resident - a person whose domicile is not New York State.