PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTION NOTICE
Collection of personal information
We collect your personal information for the purposes of performing our statutory functions
under the Superannuation (Resolution of Complaints) Act 1993 (Complaints Act). These
functions relate to the resolution of complaints made to us about decisions made by
We collect personal information about you through your participation in our complaints
handling processes. We also collect personal information about you from other parties to the
complaint. These other parties usually include:
• the trustees of the superannuation entities complained about
• the person who has made the complaint (complainant)
• any relevant insurer
• in relation to a complaint about the distribution of a death benefit, other persons who
may claim an entitlement to all or part of the benefit.
If this information is not collected by the Tribunal it may not be able to properly investigate
and resolve the complaint. The Complaints Act may require or authorise the Tribunal to collect
Disclosure of your personal information
We disclose personal information for the purposes of our statutory functions under the
Complaints Act. This includes disclosures to other parties to a complaint to ensure that we
accord procedural fairness to all parties in our dispute resolution processes.
We may also disclose your personal information to other persons where you consent or there
are other circumstances where disclosure is permitted under the Privacy Act 1988. These
circumstances include disclosure to appropriate persons where:
• the disclosure is required or authorised by law
• you would reasonably expect that the information is used for that purpose and the
purpose relates to our functions
• it will lessen or prevent a serious threat to somebody's life, health or safety, or to
public health or safety
• it is reasonably necessary for enforcement related activities of an enforcement body.
In dealing with a complaint it is possible that we may be required to disclose personal
information to a person involved in the complaint who is outside Australia. Disclosure of
personal information to an overseas recipient depends on the facts of the particular
complaint, and this could occur in relation to any foreign country.
• how you can seek access to personal information that we hold about you or request
that we make corrections to that information
• how you may make a complaint about our handling of your personal information.
request that we provide you with a copy by contacting us on the Contact Details above.