Academic Advising O ce, 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138-3722
Special Student Information Sheet
e Special Student option provides ALM degree candidates with the opportunity to enroll in a maximum of pre-approved Harvard Graduate School
of Arts and Sciences courses; all other course work for the degree must be completed through the Harvard Extension and Harvard Summer Schools.
You can take one course per semester for one academic year or two courses in one semester. is option is only for courses not ordinarily oﬀ ered at the
Harvard Extension or Harvard Summer Schools. e deadlines for submitting the Special Student petition are listed online as well as the cost of tuition.
e program will not accept courses toward a degree that are not preapproved.
In order to apply for Special Student status you must be an admitted ALM candidate who has completed a minimum of credits toward your
program at Harvard with a cumulative GPA of . or higher.
In order for your Special Student application to be complete, you must:
• Complete the attached Special Student Petition.
• Meet with Stephen J. Blinn, Associate Director of Professional Programs, or Sarah Powell, Assistant Director of Liberal Arts Programs, to
discuss qualiﬁ cations for admission and course selection and to request a recommendation letter. Please be aware that this is a formal interview
and you should be prepared to make the case that you are a strong candidate for Special Student status. Submission of the petition does not
guarantee oﬃ ce approval.
• Complete the Special Student online application for the Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at
www.gsas.harvard.edu/programs_of_study/special_students_admissions.php. Visit their website for the deadline dates.
• Have two Extension School instructors upload their letters of recommendation to the online application form. ese should be from faculty
members who teach in the ﬁ eld(s) in which you propose to take courses.
• Order an oﬃ cial Extension School transcript to be uploaded to the online form. In addition, you must upload oﬃ cial transcripts from your
previous colleges or universities; contact each school directly.
If your Special Student Petition is approved, the program director will upload his/her letter of recommendation. e ﬁ nal decision on your application
rests solely with the Special Student Oﬃ ce. e decision will be based on your overall academic history, previous coursework in the ﬁ eld, letters of
recommendation, your application essay, and the letter of support from your program director.