Sandhills Community College
SCC supports the appropriate use of social media by Faculty in accordance with existing policies
published in the college “Personnel Manual” regarding the code of conduct and in accordance with
the guidelines listed below.
“Social media” is defined as a conversation between the college, students, prospective students,
members of the community at large, and other entities and/or individuals.
1. All social media sites created representing the college must clearly state this by including
“Sandhills CC” in the name of the site.
2. Departments/Units/Programs wishing to create a social media site for use in the college
environment must also complete a request form and wait for official approval before
proceeding. (See “Social Media Request Form”)
3. Social media sites, for use in the college environment, may only be created by official
4. Each site must have a unique professional identity associated with it. A unique professional
identity is defined as an identity that is used exclusively for the purpose of administering
and interacting with this social media site.
5. Online behavior in a social media site should mimic on-campus behavior as prescribed by
existing college policies both for site administrators and participants.
6. For faculty social media sites, the Department Chair of Distance Learning must be supplied
with usernames and passwords to access the administrative portion of the social media site
and must be informed if changes to usernames and passwords are made. The Department
Chair of Distance Learning may periodically review the content of the social media site.
7. For staff social media sites, the appropriate Vice-President must be supplied with usernames
and passwords to access the administrative portion of the social media site and must be
informed if changes to usernames and passwords are made. The appropriate Vice-President
may periodically review the content of the social media site.