Financial Aid Office • SUNY Plattsburgh • 101 Broad Street • Plattsburgh, NY 12901-2681
Tel: (518) 564-2072 • Toll-Free: (877) 768-5976 • Fax: (518) 564-4079 • email: email@example.com
Revised: 12/01/2019 SPECS
SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCE REQUEST FOR STUDENTS FOR 2020-2021
Student Name: ___________________________ Banner ID or NetID: ____________________________
The federal government realizes that sometimes students and families experience changes in circumstance
since the completion of the FAFSA. This can include, but is not limited to, a change in marital status, reduction
or loss of income, and reduction or loss of benefit. For example, the student may have correctly reported on
the FAFSA that they were married but are now separated or divorced.
This form allows students to request a change in the student data reported on the FAFSA based upon
changes in student circumstances since the FAFSA completion date. If the student is married, spouse
changes can be requested as well. Students can only request changes that remain in effect during the 2020
calendar year: between January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. If the changes are related to the parent
(parent income, parent marital status, etc), complete the parent version of this form in addition to any student
request: Parent Special Circumstance Consideration for 2020-2021
If this Special Circumstance is approved, the Financial Aid Office will update the FAFSA with the new data.
Depending upon the magnitude of the change, this may or may not impact your financial aid programs.
1. Complete Section A if the student change in circumstance is based upon one of the following:
• Change in marital status since the FAFSA completion date (widowed, divorced, or separated)
• Reduction or loss of income since the FAFSA completion date (ex. retirement, unemployment, job
change, bankruptcy, illness, death in family, etc.)
• Reduction or loss of benefit since the FAFSA completion date (ex. benefit loss or reduction due to
child support, social security, unemployment, alimony, retirement, disability, TANF, etc.)
2. Complete Section B if the student or spouse change in circumstance is based upon any other reason.
SECTION A: STUDENT CHANGE IN MARTIAL STATUS, INCOME, OR BENEFIT
1. Check the reason for the request and report the date of the change:
☐ Change in marital status
☐ Reduction or loss of income
☐ Reduction or loss of benefit
2. In order to update the FAFSA, we need to project student income (and spouse income if married) for the
2020 calendar year based upon the new circumstances. In the table below, report the student and spouse
wages earned from work before today and the expected or estimated wages for the remainder of the year.
For example, if a job change has occurred, report student wages earned as of today and then estimate any
unemployment compensation or additional wages that are expected to be earned until December 31, 2020.
Leave no spaces blank, enter zeros when appropriate.
Wages earned from: January 1, 2020 to Today
Wages expected or estimated from: Today to December 31, 2020