SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF RECREATIONAL SPORTS
FACILITY RESERVATION POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Recreational Sports: Informal_GA@shsu.edu
Contact Info: 936-294-1985/ www.shsu.edu/recsports
1. Reservation must be completed 5 business days prior to the scheduled reservation date to be considered.
2. Request a reservation by submitting the Online Facility Reservation Form found at http://www.shsu.edu/dept/
recreational-sports/informal/reservations.html#. All information requested must be complete, including event description,
equipment needed, signatures, etc. before reservation requests may be considered. Club Sports requests might need
additional time due to additional approvals.
3. Reservations submitted before the 12th class day will not be finalized until the date has passed.
Recreational Sports Center (RSC) Policies:
1. All groups sponsoring any activity in Recreational Sports facilities must comply with all University policies and regulations, as well
as with any applicable federal, state and local laws.
2. Facilities must be used for the purpose specified on the Facility Reservation form. The Department of Recreational Sports
the right to cancel any reservation should it be deemed necessary or unsafe. Additional groups that are not specified on the
Facility Reservation Form are prohibited.
3. The Department of Recreational Sports will determine all staffing needs, including police services when necessary. The group may
be charged a fee for additional staffing required for the event. The group will be responsible for making arrangements for
University Police and may be asked to make a payment directly to University Police Department.
4. The possession and/or use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs are prohibited in all Recreational Sports facilities, including the outdoor
5. Proper clothing is required for specific areas to insure the safety of the participants and longevity of equipment and facilities.
6. Close toe/heel rubber soled shoes are the only permissible footwear allowed on the racquetball and gymnasium floors. Shoes
must be worn by all participants, unless previously approved (i.e. MP3).
7. The individual whose name appears on the Facility Reservation form will be responsible for any additional or unusual expenses
incurred by the University or the Department resulting from the activity as well as the behavior of all participants.
8. Facility Supervisors have full authority to ask participants to leave the facility if the participant’s conduct necessitates such action.
Failure to abide by the policies and regulations established by the Department of Recreational Sports may result in the loss of
facility reservation and/or program privileges.
9. If the group fails to show up within (30) thirty minutes of their reservation time, the reservation becomes cancelled.
10. The Department of Recreational Sports is not responsible for any lost or stolen articles. All lost and found items may be claimed
at the Member Services Desk. Lost items are kept at the RSC for seven days.
11. Organizations and departments must be approved prior to holding an event in the RSC intended to make a profit for them.
12. Area Specific Policies:
i. Appropriate shoes must be worn at all times, I.E. closed toe/heel and rubber soles. No heels, tap shoes, or other
shoes that may damage the floor are acceptable.
ii. Equipment within the room is the property of Recreational Sports/SHSU Kinesiology Department and
should not be disturbed.
iii. Music at an appropriate level is allowed within MP1.
iv. No projectiles are permitted.
v. No food or drink is permitted within the room.
vi. Two or more participants must be in attendance to reserve area.
i. Shoes are not permitted on the mats.
ii. No projectiles are permitted.
iii. Music at an appropriate level is allowed within MP3.
iv. No food or drink is permitted within the room.
v. Two or more participants must be in attendance to reserve area.
c. Volleyball/Badminton/Basketball Courts:
i. No food or drink is permitted on the courts.
ii. Belongings are not permitted on the floor. Please store belongings in the provided lockers.
iii. Proper attire must be worn at all times including shoes. No heels, tap shoes, or other shoes that may damage the
floor are acceptable.
iv. Dunking is never permitted. There are no warnings.
v. No music of any kind is allowed on the courts
Last Revised: 11/8/2017