Financial Aid Office, 2755 E. Napier Avenue
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Phone: 269-927-8112/ Fax: 269-927-8183
Request for Review of Dependency Status | 2020-2021
Student’s First Name Last Name Middle Initial LMC ID
Proving self-sufficiency and/or living on your own are not adequate reasons for changing the dependency status and will
not be considered as an appealable circumstance. However, if there is an unintentional, involuntary, and uncontrollable
break in the relationship between parents and student, LMC may be able to consider you an independent student. To make
that determination we will need a detailed written explanation and supporting documentation.
Financial Aid Specialists will review your appeal based on the documentation submitted and notify you of the results.
Incomplete appeals without the required supporting documentation will not be reviewed.
1. Your custodial parent has died and the other natural parent is still living. You, however, neither have
had contact with nor received any financial support from the living parent for a significant period.
• Letter from you explaining the situation in detail.
• A copy of the death certificate for the deceased custodial parent.
• Two letters from an objective third party, which supports your claim.
2. Your family situation is unsustainable. The dysfunction may result from physical abuse, emotional
abuse or drug/alcohol abuse. In many cases, a professional counselor will have recommended living
apart from your parent(s) household.
• A letter from you explaining the situation in detail. And,
• At least one letter (on official letterhead) explaining the situation in detail from any of the following:
a minister, social worker, high school counselor, teacher, doctor or another counseling professional.
o If providing two letters from the above, you may not need to provide any further
• One or more of the following
o A letter from someone other than a relative or a friend (i.e. the parents of a friend of the
student, a neighbor, an employer).
o Police or court reports
o Documentation from a social agency.
3. You are an unaccompanied homeless student.
• A letter from the student explaining your situation in detail-including clarification of why you consider
• Affidavit attached to this document from the person the student lives with and/or supports the student.
• And, one of the following:
o Two letters from an objective party that explains and confirms your homeless status,
o A letter from your high school homeless counselor, (McKinney Vento Act)
If your high school counselor provides a letter, you only need the affidavit as the other