Request for In-state Classification for Tuition Assessment
Mail/Fax/Email to: Records and Registration Office Drop Off: Student
Service Center Lobby
42 W. Warren
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 577-2100
August 2017 Page 1 of 4
After registering, students may petition for a change of classification for
tuition assessment through the Office of the
Registrar using this form. Documentation must accompany all petitions.
Do not use this form if you have never registered for classes. Contact the admissions office for reconsideration:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions: http://admissions.wayne.edu/contact.php
Office of Graduate Admissions: http://gradschool.wayne.edu/future/contact.php
Do not apply if any of the following circumstances apply to you -- in-state tuition cannot be approved:
• You came to Michigan for educational purposes. Did you register as a full time student within six months of your
arrival in the state? Have you continued as a full time student since your arrival in Michigan? If yes to these
questions, do not apply.
• You have an F1 Student Visa.
• You are in a medical residency, fellowship, or internship.
• Your employment is a temporary or short-term job or a position normally held by a student.
Documentation must accompany your application for each area pertinent to your request. Examples of
documentation are listed for each of the question areas. Additional information may be requested as your application is
Please answer all questions completely, using “none” or “N/A” for those which do not apply to your situation. If responses
do not fit in the space provided please use additional paper.
ALL COMMUNICATIONS AND DECISIONS ARE THROUGH YOUR WSU E-MAIL ADDRESS
The Board of Governors Code Annotated regarding Tuition Regulations and Review Procedures is at
Apply for in-state classification consideration if:
• You lived in Michigan more than six months prior to your first term of full time registration.
• You took a break in your education for six or more months while remaining in Michigan.
• You came to Michigan for reasons other than education (job relocation, parent relocation, spouse or domestic
• You are a veteran or a member of a military family.
• You had a temporary absence from Michigan.
• Your Visa type changed from an F1 Student Visa to U.S. Citizenship; permanent resident; work permit; asylum; or
visa types A, E, G, H, I, L, R, or TN.
Please update your status with the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) before submitting
the in-state tuition a
Except for documented delays caused by University personnel, Applications for Residence Classification are due:
Fall Term and the Medical Year Term - September 30
Winter Term - January 31
Spring/Summer Term - July 31
Deadlines falling on weekends are extended to the next business day.
Applications received after these dates are processed for the following term.
5057 Woodward, Fourth Floor
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 577-3541, #5
Fax: (313) 577-0945