1000 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701-2698
Teacher Retirement System of Texas Page 1 of 1
Information Sheet for Request for
Estimate of Retirement Benefits
Request for Estimate of Retirement Benefits
Use this form to request information for retirement. If you request a retirement date within 12 months of your request, you will receive
a retirement packet; for a request for a retirement date outside of 12 months, you will receive a retirement estimate only. A retirement
estimate will show you the estimated benefits that you will receive. A retirement packet will include a retirement estimate and all of
the forms necessary to apply for retirement from TRS.
You may expect to receive the requested information, mailed to your address of record, within approximately four weeks.
Need additional retirement estimates? Please visit MyTRS
MyTRS is the secure online access portion of the TRS website and is available to eligible TRS members and annuitants. You can use
MyTRS to help plan for retirement, keep track of your personal account and receive information on purchasing service credit, as well
as access important announcements and other communications from TRS. By using the "Retirement Calculator" through MyTRS, you
can instantly receive retirement estimates with your information already on file.
Important information regarding membership in other Texas public retirement systems
TRS/ERS Service Transfer
• A TRS member with at least three years of service with TRS may transfer any service credit with the Employees
Retirement System of Texas (ERS) to TRS and retire from TRS based on the total amount of service credit.
• An ERS member with at least three years of service with ERS may transfer any TRS service credit to ERS and retire
from ERS based on the total amount of service credit.
• Transfer of service credit happens at the time of retirement.
• Transferred service credit will be used to determine eligibility for retirement and the amount of your monthly retirement
• If you have withdrawn ERS service credit, you may be eligible to purchase this service credit and transfer it to TRS. To
inquire about ERS withdrawn service credit, contact ERS at (877) 275-4377.
• If you indicate that you have ERS service credit on this form, TRS will supply you with the necessary form to transfer
your ERS service credit to TRS.
Proportionate Retirement Program
• Allows you to combine service credit from two or more retirement systems to help meet retirement eligibility
• You must meet retirement eligibility in each of the other systems in order to use the combined service credit toward TRS
• While all combined service credit will be considered to determine eligibility for TRS service retirement benefits, the
calculation of any TRS retirement benefit amount is based solely on TRS service credit and salaries.
• If you retire from more than one retirement system, you will receive a separate benefit from each retirement system
based on the service credit with that system.
• You may be eligible to reinstate previously withdrawn service credit in one of the participating retirement systems.
• You must contact the retirement system in which you were previously a member to determine the process for reinstating
any withdrawn service credit.
• Proportionate retirement only applies if a member is not eligible for service retirement under TRS and the combined
service makes the member eligible, OR if a member is currently eligible for a REDUCED service retirement benefit and
the combined service makes the member eligible for an unreduced benefit.
• Eligibility for TRS-Care health care benefits is based solely on TRS service credit.