This form should be used to request that a course be taken for credit (CY)/no credit (CN) (also commonly known as pass/fail instead
of a letter grade) for the 2020–2021 school year. This option is available only for courses that are not being taken towards speciﬁc
graduation requirements. Courses that are noted as “Certiﬁcate of Merit” may be taken if not counted towards speciﬁc graduation
requirements. A list of courses not eligible can be found here. Note:
• The grade of CY (credit) or CN (no credit) will be recorded on both the student’s report card and on the student’s transcript.
• The request to take a course as CY/CN must be made no later than the ﬁrst week of the second marking period of the semester. Once
approved, this is considered ﬁnal and cannot be applied retroactively at the end of the course.
• No more than two courses may be CY/CN in the same semester.
• A grade of CY or CN in a course will not be included in calculating the cumulative grade point average or for academic eligibility purposes.
• The student is required to meet all attendance and academic requirements for the course. The teacher will maintain a letter grade
equivalent in the electronic grade book.
• Use this form for approval after consulting with the school counselor about graduation requirements, college admissions, and/or other
PART 1: STUDENT INFORMATION (TO BE COMPLETED BY THE STUDENT/PARENT/GUARDIAN)
________________________________________________________________________ MCPS Student ID:________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Grade ____
Does the student have an IEP or 504 Plan? o Yes o No
Is the student receiving ESOL services?
o Yes o No
Course(s) requested for credit/no credit: (no more than two credit/no credit courses)
COURSE NAME COURSE CODE TEACHER NAME
PART 2: SIGNATURES (TO BE COMPLETED BY THE STUDENT/PARENT/GUARDIAN)
We understand that by signing this form we agree to guidelines for credit (CY)/no credit (CN) for the courses designated on this form and
have consulted with school staff regarding impact on grade point average, graduation requirements, and other academic indicators.
PART 3: REVIEW BY SCHOOL COUNSELOR
• Reviewed list of courses not eligible
• Reviewed for graduation requirements and four-year plan
Do Not Recommend
PART 4: APPROVAL
Not Approved If not approved, please explain _______________________________________________________________________________
Signature of Principal or Designee
PART 5: FORWARD TO REGISTRAR. RECORD IN ELECTRONIC TEMPLATE PROVIDED TO SCHOOLS.
Copy to: Student File and Teacher
Request for Approval to
Complete a Course for Credit (CY)/No Credit (CN)
in High School Credit Courses
(FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2020–2021 ONLY)
Ofﬁce of Teaching, Learning, and Schools
MONTGOMERY COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Rockville, Maryland 20850
MCPS Form 270-32