Math (TRIO Scholars Program ONLY):
• Ability to tutor Pre-Calculus through Calculus 2 preferred but not required
• MA2034, MA2054, MA2114, MA2224
Writing/Humanities (PTC ONLY):
Writing consultants are generally instructors or graduate students in Humanities, Technical
Communications, Social Sciences, or related fields. Occasional positions may be open to undergraduate
majors in those fields. Please contact John Paul Cleveland, email@example.com
, for the application
9. Can I tutor more than one subject?
Yes. However, most tutors are first hired in one subject. After gaining some experience they are
elcome to complete the process for qualifying for an additional subject.
10. What’s the process for apply
ing? Read this document carefully!
Fill out a Tutor Application (attached) and answer all questions to the best of your abilities. You may
include volunteer experience as well as paid experience.
Please note: you are applying for a position in BOTH the PTC andTRIO Scholars Program and will be paired with
that best suits your qualifications. However, if you have a preferred program, please note it.
Based on your application and available openings, you may be contacted by either program to continue the
hiring process. This typically includes an in-person communications
and tutoring interview and a qualifying
exam in each course you are approved to tutor. In some cases, a technical interview with a team leader
may be required.
Additionally, new tutors are required to attend paid training sessions and group meetings.
• If you pass all rquirements, you will be offered a position IF your available hours fit with current
schedule opening and course demands of the PTC or TRIO Program.
11. Do undergraduate tutors need to hav
e work-study status? Do graduate students need to have GA
No. Ability and attitude are the most important factors. Work-study or GA status can be a plus.
12. How many hours per week can I
Tutors are assigned a regular weekly schedule for daytime hours, ranging from 5-15 hours/week.
Tutors may also work evening hours as needed
13. How can I maximize my chances of being hired?
• Familiarize yourself with PTC and TRIO services
• Review information about both offices by reading posted fliers on campus and searching our
For additional information, contact:
The Polytechnic Tutoring Center, JAB 373, John Paul
Cleveland, firstname.lastname@example.org OR
TRIO Scholars Program, Jennifer Bock, LC 254,
If you work in more than one department, your total number of hours worked per week can not