AOA Form No. 101 (Rev. 09/11) - Copyright 2010 - Apartment Owners Association of California, Inc. - www.aoausa.com
▪ San Fernando Valley (818) 988-9200 ▪ Los Angeles (323) 937-8811 ▪ Long Beach (562) 597-2422 ▪ Garden Grove (714) 539-6000 ▪ San Diego (619) 280-7007 ▪ Northern California (510) 769-7521
10. LOITERING AND PLAY: Lounging, playing, or unnecessary loitering in the halls, on the front steps, or in the common areas in such a way as to interfere with the free use and
enjoyment, passage or convenience of another RESIDENT is prohibited.
11. DESTRUCTION OF PREMISES: If the premises become totally or partially destroyed during the term of this Agreement so that RESIDENT’S use is seriously impaired, RESIDENT
or OWNER may terminate this Agreement immediately upon three-day written notice to the other.
12. CONDITION OF PREMISES: RESIDENT acknowledges that he has examined the premises and that said premises, all furnishings, fixtures, furniture, plumbing, heating, electrical
facilities, all items listed on the attached inventory sheet, if any, and/or all other items provided by OWNER are all clean, and in good satisfactory condition except as may be indicated
elsewhere in this Agreement. RESIDENT agrees to keep the premises and all items in good order and condition and to immediately pay for costs to repair and/or replace any portion of
the above damaged by RESIDENT, his guests and/or invitees, except as provided by law. At the termination of this Agreement, all of the above-enumerated items in this provision shall
be returned to OWNER in clean and good condition except for reasonable wear and tear; the premises shall be free of all personal property and trash not belonging to OWNER. It is
agreed that all dirt, holes, tears, burns, or stains of any size or amount in the carpets, drapes, walls, fixtures, and/or any other part of the premises, do not constitute reasonable wear
13. MAINTENANCE AND ALTERATIONS: RESIDENT shall not paint, wallpaper, alter or redecorate, change or install locks, install antenna or other equipment, screws, fastening
devices, excessively large nails, or adhesive materials, place signs, displays, or other exhibits, on or in any portion of the premises without the written consent of the OWNER except as
may be provided by law. RESIDENT shall deposit all garbage and waste in a clean and sanitary manner into the proper receptacles as provided and shall cooperate in keeping the
garbage area neat and clean. RESIDENT shall be responsible for disposing of items of such size or nature as is not normally acceptable by the garbage hauler for the building.
RESIDENT shall be responsible for keeping the garbage disposal clean of chicken bones, toothpicks, match sticks, celery, pits, grease, metal vegetable ties, and all other items that
may tend to cause stoppage of the mechanism. RESIDENT shall pay for the cleaning out of any plumbing fixture that may need to be cleared of stoppage and for the expense or
damage caused by the stopping of waste pipes or overflow from bathtubs, washbasins, toilets, or sinks, if caused by negligence or misuse by RESIDENT or their guests. Tenant must
notify landlord with a written notice stating what item(s) need service or repair and give landlord a reasonable opportunity to service or repair that item(s). Should any charges be
incurred by the City as a result of not notifying the Landlord in writing of such needed service or repairs, tenant shall be responsible for a minimum of $201.50 for each occurrence plus
any additional fines or inspection fees imposed by a government office as a result of RESIDENT not notifying OWNER in writing of any deficiencies with the residence.
14. SMOKE DETECTOR: The rental unit is equipped with properly functioning smoke detectors. Resident agrees to test the smoke detectors in the rental unit monthly for proper
function. Resident agrees not to interfere with their normal function or disable the smoke detectors in any manner.
15. HOUSE, POOL, AND LAUNDRY RULES: RESIDENT shall comply with all house, pool, pet, and laundry rules attached to this agreement which may be changed from time to time.
These rules shall apply to, but are not limited to, noise, odors, disposal of trash, pets, parking, use of common areas, and storage of toys, bicycles, tools, and other personal items
(including signs and laundry), which must be kept inside and out of view. OWNER shall not be liable to RESIDENT for any violation of such rules by any other RESIDENTS or persons.
Rights of usage and maintenance of the laundry room and/or pool and pool area are gratuitous and subject to revocation by OWNER at any time.
16. CHANGE OF TERMS: The terms and conditions of this agreement are subject to future change by OWNER after the expiration of the agreed lease period upon 30 days written
notice setting forth such change and delivered to RESIDENT. Any changes are subject to laws in existence at the time of the Notice Of Change Of Terms.
17. TERMINATION: After expiration of the leasing period, this agreement is automatically renewed from month-to-month, but may be terminated by either party. The owner giving a 60-
day notice and the resident giving a 30-day written notice of intention to terminate. Where laws require “just cause,” such just cause shall be so stated on said notice. The premises
shall be considered vacated only after all areas including storage areas are clear of all RESIDENT’S belongings, and keys and other property furnished for RESIDENT’S use are
returned to OWNER. Should the RESIDENT hold over beyond the termination date or fail to vacate all possessions on or before the termination date, RESIDENT shall be liable for
additional rent and damages, which may include damages due to OWNER’S loss of prospective new RENTERS.
18. POSSESSION: If OWNER is unable to deliver possession of the Apartment to RESIDENT on the agreed date, because of the loss or destruction of the Apartment or because of the
failure of the prior RESIDENT to vacate or for any other reason, the RESIDENT and/or OWNER may immediately cancel and terminate this agreement upon written notice to the other
party at their last known address, whereupon neither party shall have liability to the other, and any sums paid under this Agreement shall be refunded in full. If neither party cancels, this
Agreement shall be pro-rated and begin on the date of actual possession.
19. INSURANCE: RESIDENT acknowledges that OWNER’S insurance does not cover personal property damage caused by fire, theft, rain, war, acts of God, acts of others, and/or any
other causes, nor shall OWNER be held liable for such losses. RESIDENT HEREBY AGREES TO OBTAIN HIS OWN INSURANCE POLICY TO COVER ANY PERSONAL LOSSES.
This does not waive OWNER’S duty to prevent personal injury or property damage where that duty is imposed by law, however, RESIDENT’S failure to maintain said policy shall be a
complete waiver of RESIDENT’S rights to seek damages against OWNER for above stated losses.
20. RIGHT OF ENTRY AND INSPECTION: OWNER or OWNER’S Agent by themselves or with others, may enter, inspect and/or repair the premises at any time in case of emergency
or suspected abandonment. OWNER shall give 24 hours advance notice and may enter for the purpose of showing the premises during normal business hours to prospective renters,
buyers, lenders, for smoke alarm inspections, and/or for normal inspection and repairs. OWNER is permitted to make all alterations, repairs and maintenance that in OWNER’S
judgment is necessary to perform. In addition, OWNER has the right to enter pursuant to Civil Code Section 1954. If the work performed requires that RESIDENT temporarily vacate the
unit, then RESIDENT shall vacate for this temporary period upon being served a 7-day notice by OWNER. RESIDENT agrees that in such event RESIDENT will be solely compensated
by a corresponding reduction in the rent for those many days that RESIDENT was temporarily displaced. No other compensation shall be due to the RESIDENT. If the work to be
performed requires the cooperation of the RESIDENT to perform certain tasks, then RESIDENT shall perform those tasks upon receiving a 24-hour written notice. (EXAMPLE:
removing food items from cabinets so that the unit may be sprayed for pests.) Upon 24 hours notice, RESIDENT hereby agrees to lend OWNER the keys to the premises for the
purpose of having a duplicate made for OWNER’S use.
21. ASSIGNMENT: RESIDENT agrees not to transfer, assign or sublet the premises or any part thereof and hereby appoints and authorizes the OWNER as his agent and/or by
OWNER’S own authority to evict any person claiming possession by way of any alleged assignment or subletting.
22. PARTIAL INVALIDITY: Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as waiving any of RESIDENT’S or OWNER’S rights under the law. If any part of this Agreement
shall be in conflict with the law, that part shall be void to the extent that it is in conflict, but shall not invalidate this Agreement nor shall it affect the validity or enforceability of any other
provision of this Agreement.
23. NO WAIVER: OWNER’S acceptance of rent with knowledge of any default by RESIDENT or waiver by OWNER of any breach of any term or condition of this Agreement shall not
constitute a waiver of subsequent breaches. Failure to require compliance or to exercise any right shall not be construed as a waiver by OWNER of said term, condition, and/or right,
and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement.
24. ATTORNEY’S FEES: If any legal action or proceeding be brought by either party to this agreement, the prevailing party shall be reimbursed for all reasonable attorneys’ fees up to
but not more than $500 in addition to other damages awarded.
25. ABANDONMENT: California Civil Code Section 1951.2 shall govern Abandonment. If any rent has remained unpaid for 14 or more consecutive days and the OWNER has a
reasonable belief of abandonment of the premises, OWNER shall give 18 days written notice to RESIDENT at any place (including the rented premises) that OWNER has reason to
believe RESIDENT may receive said notice of OWNER’S intention to declare the premises abandoned. RESIDENT’S failure to respond to said notice as required by law shall allow
OWNER to reclaim the premises.
26. The undersigned RESIDENTS are jointly and severally responsible and liable for all obligations under this agreement and shall indemnify OWNER for liability caused by the actions
(omission or commission) of RESIDENTS, their guests and invitees.
27. Pursuant to Section 1785.26 of the California Civil Code, as required by law, you are hereby notified that a negative credit report reflecting on your credit history may be
submitted to a credit reporting agency, if you fail to fulfill the terms of your credit obligation. RESIDENT expressly authorizes OWNER/AGENT (including a collection agency) to obtain
Resident’s consumer credit report, which OWNER/AGENT may use if attempting to collect past due rent payments, late fees, or other charges from Resident, both during the term of
the Agreement and thereafter.
28. Lead Warning Statement: Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, paint chips and dust pose health hazards if not managed properly. Lead
exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women. Before renting pre-1978 housing, OWNERS must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint hazards in
the dwelling. RESIDENTS must also receive a federally approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention.