Permissible Uses of Motor Vehicle Data
as provided in United States Code, Title 18, Section 2721
1) For use by any government agency, including court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any
private person or entity acting on behalf of a Federal, State or local agency in carrying out its functions.
2) For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor
vehicle product alterations, recalls or advisories; performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle
parts and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research; and removal of non-
owner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.
3) For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors, but only
(A) to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or its agencies,
employees, or contractors; and
(B) if such information as so submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain correct information, but only for
the purposes of preventing fraud by, pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest
against the individual.
4) For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any Federal, State or local court or
agency or before any self-regulatory body, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and
the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or pursuant to an order of a Federal, State or local court.
5) For use in research activities, and for use in producing statistical reports, so long as the personal information is not
published, re-disclosed, or used to contact individuals.
6) For use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or
contractors, in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
7) For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
8) For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this
9) For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's
license that is required under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (49 U.S.C. App. 2710 et seq.).
10) For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
11) For any other use in response to requests for individual motor vehicle records if the State has obtained the express
consent of the person to whom such personal information pertains.
12) For bulk distribution for surveys, marketing, or solicitations if the State has obtained the express consent of the person
to whom such personal information pertains.
13) For Use by any requester, if the requester demonstrates it has obtained written consent of the individual to whom the
14) For any other use specifically authorized under the law of the State that holds the record, if such use is related to the
operation of a motor vehicle or public safety. List specific statutory authorization.