Public Notice Checklist
Review criteria as provided in Section 98-35: This checklist is intended to guide applicants with the
notification requirements for all items which are heard at a City Commission Meeting. Applicants are only permitted to begin
the public notification process upon determination of Planning Staff that their item has been scheduled for an upcoming
public hearing. Please note that if for any reason a public hearing is cancelled or moved or if for any reason the applicant’s
item has been cancelled or moved, the applicant will be required to re-notify each item. The following items are required to
be completed prior to an item being heard at either of the above public meetings.
The applicant shall do the following for each notification type:
Notice by Mail
1. The applicant shall provide the City with one (1) set of mailing labels and one (1) copy of the mailing
label list for all property owners within 500 feet of the subject property.
2. Mailing labels shall be self-adhesive labels suitable for a standard business (#10) envelope.
3. The applicant shall provide a notarized affidavit (attached) attesting to the validity of the property list.
4. As all mailings must be post marked no fewer than 15 days and no more than 20 days prior to the
date set for the public hearing, the applicant must provide the city with the labels a minimum of 25
days prior to the mailing date. For projects with more than 200 mailings, staff may request labels
5. The applicant is required to provide $2.00 for each label to the City.
Notice by Posting
1. A sign must be posted along each public right-of-way in which the property faces. The location of the
sign must be approved by planning staff prior to the installation of the sign.
2. The sign must be placed on the subject property at least 15 days and no more than 20 days prior to
the public hearing.
3. The sign shall be shall be four-foot by four-foot and stand 6 foot tall.
4. The sign shall be a solid white or yellow background and contain the exact given template wording
which shall be no less than 4 inches tall in large black typeface.
5. The applicant shall provide a notarized affidavit (attached) attesting to the validity of the posted sign
along with a photograph of the sign and its location.
6. If the property does not front on to a road right-of-way, the sign shall be placed on the property in a
location that gives the maximum exposure to the public. This location must be approved by planning
7. All signs must be removed within seven (7) days after final hearing.
Notice by Newspaper Advertisement
1. If the applicant’s item is required to be advertised in a local newspaper, the applicant will be required
to submit a fee similar to other fees previously paid for such applications. If the cost exceeds the
estimated fee, the applicant will be required to pay the remainder prior to the approval of any building
permit. If the cost is less, the applicant will be returned any remaining funds.
2. The following cost recovery fees are applicable for advertising in the newspaper:
Resolutions: Site Plan, Variance, Conditional Use, Sign Variance, Technical Deviation,
Easement Abandonments - $200 (estimate only)
Ordinances: Land Use Plan Amendments, Rezoning, Privately Initiated Code Amendments,
ROW, Abandonments - $800 (estimate only)