5/31/16 2 RO Correspondence Incoming
Petition for Refund: Instructions and Overview
Petitions are to be submitted to:
303 Lowe Street
Prince William Sound College
P.O. Box 97
Valdez, AK 99686
The information below is intended to provide a description of the process and reasons that may support a
request. Exceptions are not
automatic and will be granted on case-by-case basis in light of
circumstances and documentation. Students are required to provide
documentation with this request to substantiate the reasons for being unable to meet published
deadlines or adhere to
current policies. Requests without documentation may be returned and not
1. Only requests submitted by the student or by a person with legal authority to act on behalf of the student will be considered.
2. The deadline to submit a Request for Refund is no later than one academic year following the semester in which the course was
offered. (Note: Requests that are not received within this timeframe will not be considered.)
3. Requests to drop or withdraw from course(s) must be applied for separately using the Request for Late Add or Retroactive
Withdrawal form found at http://pwsc.alaska.edu/forms/.
4. Decisions will be made solely on supporting documentation provided. In all cases a personal statement from the student is
required summarizing the situation and explaining the need for a refund.
* Immediate family is defined as father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, domestic partner, son or daughter.
5. A request will only be approved if the requester can demonstrate unanticipated and unavoidable circumstances beyond the
student’s control that arose or came to light after published deadlines. Work-related issues, financial hardship, and failure to
read PWSC’s documents generally do not present justifiable reasons to support an exception request.
6. Appeals of an adverse decision must be in writing, provide additional documentation not presented in original request and be
10 working days of the day the decision is mailed or otherwise distributed to the student. Appeals of
decisions are at the discretion of the Campus Director and should be routed as described in the notification letter.
Dr. J. Dan O'Connor
P.O. Box 97
Valdez, AK 99686
Minimum Supporting Documentation Required
Academic advisor’s written confirmation and explanation of advising error.
Letter on letterhead from legal, medical, or other relevant professional. Police
report, court order, visa, airline ticket, or other relevant documents.
Death of immediate family member*
Dated copy of death certificate published obituary, or memorial folder. (If
student’s last name differs, documentation required that establishes immediate
family relationship to the deceased).
Documentation of a university error directly causing the financial problem.
Please note: Financial exceptions are rarely approved, unless there are special
circumstances; students are responsible for managing their personal finances.
Supporting information and recommendation by department chair or dean
Employer’s letter on letterhead confirming date and necessity of job changes.
Please note: Voluntary work schedule changes or commitments made by the
student are rarely approved unless exceptional circumstances can be
documented. Students are responsible for management of personal scheduling
that may impact their educational commitments.
(student or immediate family member* only)
Doctor’s letter on letterhead verifying nature of condition and dates of treatment.
Copy of official order to report for training or active duty.
Written documentation from relevant officials or entities on company letterhead
Relevant supporting documentation, e.g. email or other correspondence with
university personnel about registration intentions or difficulties.