Peralta Community College District
Admissions and Records
Berkeley City College
College of Alameda
HIGH SCHOOL SPECIAL ENROLLMENT
Special enrollment provides educational opportunities for high school students who can benefit from college level
instruction. High school students can take approved Peralta Community College courses with the permission of their
high school counselor and a parent or guardian. High school students enrolling in college level courses must satisfy the
prerequisites of the courses they take and follow all college rules and policies.
Special enrollment provides high school students with opportunities to accelerate their academic or vocational career
and expands access to higher education.
High school students with special enrollment are exempt from paying California Community College tuition and fees.
There are some restrictions on the courses that can be taken by special enrollment high school students. Please meet
with your high school or college counselor to confirm that the courses you sign up for are appropriate.
● Who can take special enrollment courses? Students in grades 9–12 with the approval of their high school
counselor and a parent or guardian. *
● All courses taken become part of the students’ official college record. This means special enrollment students
have a big responsibility because their performance in these courses will be on their permanent record and can affect
their admission to other colleges or universities, their eligibility for financial aid and their eligibility for athletics.
● Tuition and Fee: Special admit High School students who are California residents will not be charged enrollment
fees or any other college/district fees.
Steps to Apply for High School Special Enrollment
1. Talk to a high school counselor to choose a course or courses that will help you make progress toward your
educational and professional goals.
2. Visit www.peralta.edu and click “Apply Now” to complete an Admissions application.
3. Complete this High School Special Enrollment form. It must be signed by a high school counselor as well as a
parent or guardian.
4. To enroll, submit the High School Special Enrollment form on MyPath. You must fill out a separate form for each
semester you wish to attend.
Students will receive college credit for the successful completion of a Peralta course. Their high school may also provide
high school credit for courses taken in the Peralta Colleges. The Peralta Office of Admissions and Records will send a
transcript to the high school upon request.
page 1 of 2
* Home schooled students must get written approval from their local high school district.
Policy and Guidelines