American River College
Student Informed Testing Request
• Students are advised not to take any exams if they are ill, hungry, overly tired, or pressed for time.
• Students should do their best on each test, in order to achieve a result that accurately reflects their knowledge
and academic ability. The placement determines the course level and may affect the number of courses and
semesters that a student may need to devote to their coursework.
• No food or beverages are allowed in the Assessment lab.
• Only those students taking tests are allowed in the lab. No children are allowed in the lab.
• Before entering the lab,
have photo ID out.
turn all electronic devices (cell phones, dictionaries etc.) completely off and put them away.
review the sample test (No sample test is available for Chemistry.)
• Cheating will result in termination of the test and disciplinary action may be taken.
• The examiner will assist students in getting started with the test/assessment.
• Results will be available immediately after testing. ESL results will be available in 3 working days.
• Test recommendation is subject to change at any time.
• Students who have a verified disability and need special accommodations should contact
DSP&S at 484-8382. For Learning Disabilities, contact Anita at 484-8938 or Kathleen
Learning and Study Strategies Inventory – Allow approximately 30 minutes.
ry is used to assess students’ awareness of their use of learning and study strategies. This inventory is
he computer and is not timed.
English as a Second Language (ESL) – Allow approximately 3 hours.
A student may re-test one time, Districtwide after a
30 calendar-day waiting period.
A student may not test after starting the ESL course sequence.
The ESL test is for students whose native
language is not English and who wish to enroll in ESL classes. The test
consists of four parts. Listening, reading, and grammar are administered on the computer and are not timed. The essay
is timed for 30 minutes.
Chemistry – Allow 45 minutes. Only one attempt is permitted.
The Chemistry test consists of general chemistry topics, lab skills questions, and math skills. A calcul
periodic table will be provided. This multiple-choice test is paper/pencil based and is timed.
Math Competency – Allow 30 minutes for the E
lementary Algebra test. Allow 60 minutes for the Intermediate Algebra test.
A maximum of 4 attempts within a two-year period is per
The math competency is administered to students who are applying for the AA/AS Degree and have an approval form
signed by their counselor. These tests are paper/pencil based and timed. C
alculators are not allowed.
I have read the
information on this page.
INITIAL HERE _______________
Due to privacy concerns, Assessment Staff will not reveal to anyone whether a student is testing or whether an
individual has entered or exited the Testing Lab.