CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
In advance of the application deadline please contact staff to discuss your project, application requirements, and
if necessary, to make an appointment to meet with staff for a project consultation in the office or on-site. The
Commission of Architectural Review website has additional project guidance and required checklists:
Division of Planning and Preservation 804.646.6335 Carey.Jones@Richmondgov.com
Certain exterior work can be administratively approved by Staff. Please contact staff for a preliminary
determination of the level of review required prior to submitting an application.
Submit the following items to the Division of Planning and Preservation, 900 E. Broad Street, Rm. 510:
• Eleven (11) signed and completed applications – property owners signature required
• Eleven (11) copies of supporting documentation, as indicated on appropriate checklist, collated and
stapled. All plans and elevations must be printed 11x17 and all text easily legible.
• One digital copy of the application and supporting documentation, depending on size emailed to staff or
saved to a thumb drive or CD and delivered with the application materials.
• Application deadlines are firm. All materials must be submitted by the deadline to be considered at the
following Commission meeting. Designs must be final at the time of application; revisions will not be
accepted after the deadline. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be placed on the agenda.
• The Commission will not accept new materials, revisions, or redesigns at the meeting. Deferral until the
following month’s meeting may be necessary in such cases to allow for adequate review by staff,
Commissioners, and public notice if required.
MEETING SCHEDULE AND APPLICATION DUE DATES
• Commission meetings start at 4:00 PM in the 5th floor conference room of City Hall, 900 E. Broad Street.
The owner and/or applicant is encouraged to attend the meeting.
All applications are due at 12 noon the Friday on the deadline date. See table below.
• Exception: Revisions to applications that have been deferred or conceptually reviewed at a Commission
meeting can be submitted nine (9) calendar days after that meeting in order to be reviewed at the
following meeting. Please contact staff to confirm this date.
Application Deadlines (Fridays unless noted otherwise)
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Monday, December 30, 2019
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Friday, February 28, 2020
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Friday, September 25, 2020
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Friday, November 20, 2020