FACULTY AND ACADEMIC PROFESSIONALS
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND
GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FORM
Fund Purpose: Professional development is the systematic plan to increase the growth and
development of members of the campus community and thus promote the mission of the
University of Minnesota, Crookston. The purpose of professional development is to facilitate,
promote, and encourage activities that further the effectiveness of teaching, learning, research,
and service by faculty and staff at the University of Minnesota, Crookston (UMC). UMC
encourages and supports the continued development and advancement of its faculty and staff by
offering financial support for these activities.
• Applicants must be a member of the University of Minnesota, Crookston Faculty
• Individual employees or groups of employees are eligible to request funding.
• Funds are to be used for presenting or attending professional and scholarly workshops
• Applicants may propose using funds from two fiscal years. Applicants may receive up
to a maximum of $750 per fiscal year base rate (July 1 – June 30) (dollar amount
subject to change with funding availability) for domestic travel. For international travel
or travel outside of the contiguous U.S., up to an additional $500 can be granted to be
applied to one of the two fiscal years $750 for a total of $1,250. In illustration: 1 year
@$750 + $500 = $1,250 or 2 years @ $750 for $1,500 + $500 = $2,000. Faculty are
eligible for the additional $500 funding every 2 years.
Awarding of Funds:
• Application Deadlines: October 1, December 1, March 1, and May 1.
Professional development funds divided between these four dates.
Money unused in one funding period will be carried over to the remaining
periods, divided accordingly.
• Written notification will be provided to applicants within twenty days after deadline.
• Applicants may receive up to a maximum of $750 per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30)
(dollar amount subject to change with funding availability) to cover expenses related to:
• Awardees will be reimbursed for expenses after submitting receipts to the business office
upon return. Advance funds are not available; however using a University purchase order,
where appropriate, is encouraged.
• Awards are made for the specific purpose and time for which the faculty member applied.
Any change in plans requires submission of a new funding request. If a faculty member is
granted an award and decides not to use it, the committee should be notified so that the
funds can be released to another qualified applicant.
• Applications must be completed and submitted to the chair of the professional
development committee prior to the event.