Academic Renewal Policy
Per California Code of Regulations, § 55046, the Academic Renewal process permits students the opportunity to
petition to have up to 24 units of substandard academic work completed within the West Valley Mission Community
College District (WVMCCD) disregarded from their cumulative grade point average when such work does not reflect
their current demonstrated ability. If Academic Renewal is approved, the student’s permanent record will be noted
with Academic Renewal comments and the units will be removed. The renewed course(s) will not be removed from
the record, as the district is required to show the student’s complete and accurate academic record.
• Only substandard notations may be renewed (“D”, “F”, “NP”, “NC”).
• Coursework previously applied toward a degree, certificate or GE certification (IGETC/ CSU GE-B) at WVMCCD
are not eligible for academic renewal.
• Academic Renewal at WVMCCD does not guarantee that other colleges will accept this action.
Approval of an Academic Renewal request is subject to the following conditions:
• Since the coursework to be alleviated was completed, a student must meet one of the following conditions in the
District and/or at another regionally accredited institution (official transcripts must be attached to petition):
a. Completion of 12 with 3.0 cumulative GPA
b. Completion of 24 with a 2.0 cumulative GPA
• A period of 2 semesters must have elapsed since the substandard work.
• The College will disregard individual courses selected by the student in consultation with a Counselor.
• Courses alleviated still reflect a course attempt for the purposes of the repeat policy, pursuant to California Code of
Regulations, § 55042.
• Once applied, Academic Renewal may not be reversed.
Student must consult with a counselor before petitioning for Academic Renewal. After obtaining the Counselor’s
signature, the completed Student Petition is submitted to the Admissions & Records Office.
Student Instructions (Fill out Form Completely):
1. Complete the top portion of this form.
2. Make a counseling appointment, and bring this form with you to your appointment.
3. Answer qualifying questions in consultation with a Counselor.
4. Review transcripts (If you are planning to use courses completed at another College, official transcripts
from that college are required.)
5. List courses to be alleviated.
6. Sign Form
7. Provide Reason for Renewal Request.
8. Please review and attach unofficial Mission College transcripts noting the courses to be renewed. If the
course work used as the basis for the Academic Renewal Petition is from an external college, an official
transcript is required.
9. Sign Form
The completed form is to be submitted to the Admissions & Records Office. The petitioner receives a response to
the request for Academic Renewal within ten (10) business days.
Academic renewal by the West Valley Mission Community College District does not guarantee that
other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer
3000 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara, CA 95054
A & R 9.13.19