Aims Community College: Police Academy Application – SP21
MISDEMEANOR AND FELONY CONVICTIONS
State law prohibits POST certification of any person who has been convicted of a felony or
certain misdemeanors. If an individual wishes to attend an academy and has a misdemeanor
conviction that would preclude certification, they may request a variance to appeal the denial
of certification pursuant to Rule 8 – Process for Seeking Exemption From Statutory
Certification Restrictions. An individual convicted of any felony as an adult is ineligible, and no
variance is allowed for a felony conviction with the following exceptions:
• Deferred judgments and sentencing agreements
• Deferred prosecution agreements
• Pretrial diversion agreements
Additionally, individuals with domestic violence convictions may not be eligible to serve as
peace officers due to federal laws.
Applicants will be disqualified from consideration if they have:
Two or more convictions for Driving under the influence of alcohol
Release from or discharge from the U.S. Military under dishonorable conditions.
ANY instance of domestic violence or domestic abuse.
ANY instance of child abuse.
ANY felony conviction or conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude.
ANY misdemeanor conviction which involves sexual misconduct, illicit drugs/controlled
substances, perjury, tampering, child abuse, prostitution, aiding an escape, false reporting,
domestic violence, or domestic abuse.
OTHER POTENTIAL DISQUALIFICATION FACTORS INCLUDE (BUT NOT NECESSARILY BE LIMITED
1. Non-prescribed drug usage.
2. Alcoholism (depending on circumstances, disposition and time lapse).
3. A misdemeanor conviction (not listed above), depending on circumstances, disposition
and time lapse since offense(s). See attached.
4. Police history - type, frequency and nature of contact(s).
5. Motor vehicle record reflecting a careless/reckless pattern of driving.
6. Outside activities which may be classified as a conflict of interest.
7. Revelation of assaultive behavior via background investigation or by the admission of
8. Association with persons known by the applicant to be involved in unlawful conduct
(closeness of relationship is also considered).
BASIC PEACE OFFICER ACADEMY
POTENTIAL DISQUALIFICATION FACTORS