Office of the Sheriff
Scott T. Phillips, Sheriff
Louis L. Redding City/County Building
800 N. French Street, 5
Wilmington, DE 19801
Office: 302-395-8450, Fax: 302-395-8460
REAL PROPERTY SHERIFF SALES
When – Auctions are held the second Tuesday of every month beginning promptly at 10 a.m.
Where – See NCC Sheriff webpage https://www.nccde.org/167/Sheriffs-Office or call 302-395-8450
How – Open Public Bidding. All bidders must register with Sheriff’s Office to obtain a bidder number.
• $5,000.00 Cashier’s Check payable to New Castle County Sheriff (collected if successful bidder)
• Valid ID (Driver’s License/DMV ID)
• Established personal/business check to pay balance of deposit due at time of sale (no starter checks).
• Proof of Business – Business License/Incorporated Certificate (if registering as a business)
• Prequalification Requirement (NCC Tax Sales Only) – Per County Ordinance.
Terms of Sale
• Lev Fac (mortgage sale) – 20% Deposit or $5,000 in Certified Funds, whichever is greater, due at Time of Sale.
Balance of bid (certified funds) is due on or before the third Monday of the month following the sale.
• Vend Exp Monition (tax sale) – 100% Deposit or $5,000 in Certified Funds, whichever is greater, due at Time
of Sale. If high bid is less than $5,000, a refund will be disbursed no sooner than 10 days after the sale date.
• Vend Exp Judge (judgment sale) – 20% Deposit or $5,000 in Certified Funds, whichever is greater, due at Time
of Sale. Balance of bid is due on or before the third Monday of the month following the sale. Balance payment
must be in certified funds.
• Buyers are not permitted to leave the auction and return later to make required payment.
• If high bid is less than $5,000, a refund will be disbursed no sooner than 10 days after the sale date.
• If you are bidding on behalf of a business or organization or paying with a business check you must be prepared
to show proof that you are eligible to bid for that entity.
• The winning bidder of a NCC Tax sale, identified by an Asterix in the address, must also submit Part 1, Part 2
and $50 payment in accordance with NCC Ordinance.
• Assignment of Bid must be received by the Sheriff’s Office prior to confirmation. Confirmation of the sale
occurs as a matter of course on the Friday following the third Monday of the month following the sale.
• Failure to pay balance of bid by the due date may result in your bidding privileges being suspended for
future sales and forfeiture of your deposit.
General Information - Properties are sold sight unseen, as is; There is no "walk through" or appraisal of the properties before or
after the sale. As a bidder, YOU are responsible for your bid and your activities surrounding the transaction. You are responsible
for maintaining custody of and returning the Bidder Card(s) before leaving. Any financing for Sheriff properties must be arranged
prior to the auction, not after. Simply being preapproved for financing is not sufficient. Your bid does not necessarily negate other
debts on the property. It is the responsibility of the bidder to research the Title History, Tax Lien, Public Record and Bankruptcy
Info for each property. Issuing a bad check to the Sheriff's Office is a crime and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Post Sale Information - Tenants/Owners of properties sold at Sheriff Sale are not automatically evicted. You must file a motion in
Superior Court to evict if the Tenants/Owners do not voluntarily agree to vacate the property. Failure to follow this rule may result
in your arrest of a criminal offense. Petition for no attempt at redemption of a tax sale is filed by the high bidder after the
expiration of the redemption period (60 days from Confirmation Date). Properties which remain un-deeded for 6 months after
confirmation are subject to the writ being returned as UNDEEDED.
Failure to comply with the auction rules may result in the bidder being barred from bidding at future sheriff sales.
Name of Bidder (print):________________________________________________ Bidder #_______________
Company Name (if applicable): ____________________________________________________________________
Signed: _____________________________________________________________ Date: _________________
Signature Represents Receipt of Auction Rules
Official Use Only: Certified $5K ____ Check Book ____ NCC Tax Card # ________