OFF-CAMPUS APPROVAL POLICY
1. Students may transfer courses from regionally accredited institutions only.
2. Any student who has earned 60 or more credits may not enroll at a two-year institution (i.e., community college).
3. A course taken at Elizabethtown College in which a D, W/F, or F was obtained may not be repeated at another institution.
4. All courses taken off-campus must be cleared through the Office of Registration and Records PRIOR to enrolling in the
course. The college is under no obligation to accept courses from other institutions that are not pre-approved.
Students can transfer courses from accredited institutions that are judged by the Registrar and the appropriate department (in the
case of courses for a major/minor) to be high quality, involve active delivery methods (ongoing exchange of ideas with an
instructor) and are consistent with the mission and program goals of Elizabethtown College. For example, no online independent
study or correspondence courses can be transferred.
5. Upon completion of courses taken off-campus, students are responsible for requesting that the institution send an official
transcript directly to the Office of Registration and Records at Elizabethtown College. The transcript must be a final, official
copy. Grade reports or transcripts issued to the student will not be accepted.
6. If you are completing graduation requirements off-campus, all final official transcripts must be received in the Office of
Registration and Records at least one week prior to the anticipated date of graduation.
7. Credits only for grades of “C-“or better from another institution are transferable to Elizabethtown College (i.e., the grades
do not actually transfer).
8. Elizabethtown operates on a semester credit system where each credit represents 15 hours of classroom time. Credits from schools
that operate on a different system (e.g., quarter, unit, points, or hours) will be converted to Elizabethtown's semester credits. One
quarter credit, for example, equals 0.67 semester credits (4 quarter credits would equal 2.67 semester credits, and 5 quarter credits
would equal 3.33 semester credits).
9. Approval is only valid for semester listed on the reverse side of this form.
10. The Off-Campus Approval Form is used by Registration and Records to inform students of how courses from other
institutions will transfer to Elizabethtown. It is not an advising recommendation or a sanction of which courses to take. It is
the student's responsibility, along with their advisor, to determine which courses should be taken to complete graduation
11. Students may carry up to 18 credits in a semester or 12 credits in a combination of course work during May term and the
summer session. This includes credits in total from all institutions. Enrolling in more than 18 credits from any combination of
institutions (or more than 12 in the summer) constitutes an overload and must be separately petitioned using the appropriate form.
With approval, students may carry up to 20 credits per semester for an additional per credit charge for the 19
PLEASE RETURN THIS COMPLETED FORM WITH A COURSE DESCRIPTION TO THE OFFICE OF
REGISTRATION AND RECORDS AT LEAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE CLASS BEGINS.
If this course is a requirement for a major or minor declaration, the course should be approved by your advisor and the department
chair governing the course discipline (i.e., if the course is a chemistry course the Chemistry Chair should classify the course equivalency.
Student Signature Advisor's Signature
Chair of Department Governing Off-Campus Course Discipline Course Equivalency (i.e., BIO101)
I have read, understand, and accept the off-campus approval policies as described on this form.