Nicholls State University
Academic Renewal Policy Agreement
Undergraduate students who have withdrawn or have been suspended because of academic deficiencies but have
demonstrated sufficient maturation may ask to be enrolled under academic renewal. The following conditions
1. At least three years must elapse between the end of the semester in which the student was last
registered for credit at any college or university and the start of an enrollment under academic renewal.
2. Students must obtain an application form for academic renewal from either a dean’s office or the Office
of Records and Registration prior to or within twelve (12) months following entry (or re-entry) to the
university. The application must be accompanied by a letter which should include:
• Provide an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the student’s prior poor academic
• Provide the reasons why the student is seeking Academic Renewal. Include evidence that the
conditions have changed and that there is reasonable expectation of the student’s success.
3. If granted, the date of academic renewal is entered upon the transcript along with a statement
prohibiting use of previously earned credits and quality points to meet degree requirements, to compute
the grade-point average leading toward undergraduate certificates or degrees, or to determine
4. No prior academic credit carries forward as part of a degree program; however, the prior record remains
a visible part of the student’s transcript.
5. Upon being granted academic renewal, the student has status of an entering freshman, and will begin a
new record showing no credits attempted and no quality points earned.
6. A student demonstrating competency in a given area may be allowed advanced standing (without credit)
or a waiver of requirements just as any entering freshman, but will not be allowed credit by examination
for courses lost in academic renewal.
7. Academic renewal may be granted to a person only once, regardless of the institutions attended.
8. Students are cautioned that many undergraduate professional curricula and graduate and professional
schools compute the undergraduate grade-point average over all hours attempted when considering
applications for admission.
9. Academic renewal does not pertain to accumulated financial aid history. Accumulated semester and
award limits include all semesters of enrollment.
I hereby agree to all provisions of the Academic Renewal policy citied above.
Student’s Name (please print) Student’s N Number
Student Signature Date
click to sign
click to edit