Updated 2/12/20
Date Scanned
Undergraduate Transient Approval Form
(Please Print Legibly)
Name Student ID
Phone ( ) FSU email
Semester course will be completed: Summer Fall Spring of 20
Transient Institution Name
Transient Institution Address
Courses to be taken Fairmont State Equivalent
CRN - Course Title - No. Cr Hrs Subject - Course No. Cr Hrs
Students are encouraged to complete classes at Fairmont State University. Please indicate the reason you wish
to take a transient course below.
Reason: Repeat a course Course not offered at Fairmont State University
Other Reason:
Type of Course: ___ Core Curriculum ___ Major ___Minor ___Elective
Student is in good academic standing and has an overall grade point average of 2.0 or above.
Student Signature
Advisor Signature
Chair/Associate Dean Signature
Registrar or Designee Signature
**Please review back of form for additional information**
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit
Updated 2/12/20
Regularly enrolled students who complete work at another accredited institution on a transient basis must secure written permission
before attempting such course work. Transient credit completed without permission will not be accepted.
Visit FSU’S Transfer Equivalency System: http://www.fairmontstate.edu/studentservices/registrar/transfer-credit-tables
If the institution you want to attend is listed, determine which course(s) you want to take and how the course(s) will transfer to
FSU. Then check the other institution’s schedule of courses to see if the course(s) you want to take are offered. Make a printed
copy of the course articulation from the Transfer Equivalency System.
If the institution or the course is not listed in the menu, print off the course descriptions from the school that you wish to attend
and attach them to the Transient Form for review.
Print a copy of the Transient Application Form from http://www.fairmontstate.edu/studentservices/enrollment-center. If you
plan on attending multiple institutions or multiple terms you will need to complete a form for each one. It is important that you
complete all the required fields outlined on the form. Failure to do so may result in a delay in your request being processed.
Visit your advisor and take with you the Transient Application Form, any printed translation(s) from the Transfer Equivalency
System, and any course descriptions you obtained from the other institution’s catalog/website. After advisor approval, take all
the information to the Chair or Dean, who will review and sign the form, indicating their approval that the courses that you are
planning on taking at the other institution will apply to your degree here at Fairmont State.
Once you have had the Chair/Associate Dean and Advisor sign off on the form, please bring the completed form to the Turley
Center for final approval. Once the form has been processed, we will email it to your Fairmont State email account. You will
then need to submit the form to the institution where you will be taking classes.
You must have an overall Fairmont State GPA of 2.0 or higher and no holds on your account to be eligible to take courses at
another institution. Courses taken while on academic suspension or academic warning will not count towards your degree
and will not be articulated back to Fairmont State.
You must make arrangements to get admitted and enrolled at the institution you selected. In some instances financial aid
awarded through Fairmont State may NOT be used for tuition and fees at the institution you selected. Students must
complete a Consortium Agreement with the FSU Office of Financial Aid to be evaluated for financial aid eligibility.
The institutions that you attend as a transient student will not automatically send a transcript to Fairmont State on your
behalf. Once the term is over you will need to request an official transcript from that institution and have it sent to the
Office of Admissions, Admissions Processing Center, 1201 Locust Avenue, Fairmont, WV 26554.
Use of transient credit to satisfy university, major, or minor requirements may involve minimum grade standards. A student
may need to retake a course for which the minimum grade is not met. Any course(s) taken as a transient student are
subject to the Repeat Policy as stated in the Academic Catalog.
All grades will be brought in and entered on your Fairmont State transcript including any D’s and/or F’s. This includes
courses approved through the transient process and those taken that were not pre-approved by the Office of the Registrar.
It is the responsibility of the student to verify that courses listed on this form have not been previously completed and to verify if
the credit will count toward graduation. This form verifies only the translation of credit. This form does not guarantee that the
course(s) will be used towards your major requirements.
Chair/Associate Dean/Advisor: Please review the form and course descriptions that were provided by the student. If
necessary, you can request the student obtain a syllabus for a particular course. If you approve of what the student is planning
on taking and that it will return and count towards the student’s major you may sign the form. If the student has courses from
multiple Fairmont State departments, direct them to the Office of the University Registrar for review of their request.
Office of the University Registrar’s staff will verify that the course(s) to be taken and the equivalent course(s) indicated are
correct and will verify that institutions have the appropriate accreditation.