NOT A PERMIT
SOUND DEVICE APPLICATION
PD 656-041A (Rev. 09-07)
Approval Date __________________________________
1. This is an application, NOT a sound device permit.
2. All answers must be either typewritten or printed in ink.
3. File application in the precinct where the device is to be used.
4. File application at least five days before the day of the event. Exceptions to this requirement are listed below.
5. A fee of $45 for the first day’s use of the permit will be required upon approval of the application and receipt
of the sound device permit.
6. Make Bank Teller’s Check, Certified Check or Money Order payable to the Police Department, City of New York.
7. If approved, the permit is to be picked up on the day of the event or as directed by the precinct staff.
Name of Applicant Phone
Are Funds to be Solicited? Yes No Has Permit from Dept. of Social Services been obtained? Yes No
Dept. of Social Services Permit No. _________________ If No, explain:
Signature of Applicant or Agent
Investigated By: Precinct: Approved Disapproved If Disapproved, Reason:
Who Notified: Approved Disapproved If Disapproved, Reason:
Does Event Affect Adjoining Precinct? Yes No If Yes, Who Notified:
Event Location Date Time
Event Location Date Time
Is location within 500 feet of any School, Yes
Church, Hospital or Similar Institution?
Approximately how many feet from the device is speaker’s
voice proposed to be heard?
Approximately how many people will be at event?
Is Applicant a Corporation, Organization, or Association?
Yes No If Yes, Indicate:
PERMIT TO OPERATE SOUND DEVICES
Section 10-108 of the Administrative Code, in Relation to Use of Sound Devices, provides as follows:
1. SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS. The police commissioner shall not issue any permit for the use of a sound device or apparatus: In any location within five hundred feet
of a school, courthouse or church, during the hours of school, court or worship, respectively, or within five hundred feet of any hospital or similar institution; in any
location where the commissioner, upon investigation, shall determine that the conditions of vehicular or pedestrian traffic or both are such that the use of such a
device or apparatus will constitute a threat to the safety of pedestrians or vehicular operators; in any location where the commissioner, upon investigation, shall
determine that conditions of overcrowding or of street repair or other physical conditions are such that the use of a sound device or apparatus will deprive the public of
the right to the safe, comfortable, convenient and peaceful enjoyment of any public street, park or place for street, park or other public purposes, or will constitute a
threat to the safety of pedestrians or vehicle operators; in or on any vehicle or other device while it is in transit; between the hours of 10 p.m. and 9 a.m.; or between
the hours of 8 p.m. or sunset, whichever is later, and 9 a.m. on weekdays and between the hours of 8 p.m. or sunset, whichever is later, and 10 a.m. on weekends
and public holidays, in any location within fifty feet of any building that is lawfully occupied for residential use. The distance of fifty feet shall be measured in a
straight line from the point on the exterior wall of such building nearest to any point in the location for which the permit is sought.
2. POWER OF POLICE COMMISSIONER. Any permit issued pursuant to this section may be revoked by the police commissioner for cause.
3. FEES. The fee for each sound device permit in connection with matters of public interest or in political campaigns shall be $45.00 per day. No fees to be charged
for permits issued for use of sound devices used by any bureau, commission, board or department for the United States government, the State of New York, and the
City of New York.
4. VIOLATIONS. Any person who shall violate any provision of this section, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars
or imprisonment for thirty days, or both. Any person who shall violate any provision of this section, any rule promulgated pursuant thereto or the terms of a permit
issued pursuant to this section, shall be liable for a civil penalty recoverable in a civil action brought in the name of the police commissioner or the commissioner of
environmental protection or in a proceeding before the environmental control board in an amount of two hundred fifty dollars for the first violation, five hundred dollars
for the second violation and seven hundred fifty dollars for the third and each subsequent violation. However, any person who commits a fourth and any subsequent
violation within a period of six months shall be classified as a persistent violator and shall be liable for a civil penalty of one thousand dollars for each such violation.
Signature of Commanding Officer
Penalty for Falsification of any statement made herein is an offense
punishable by a fine or imprisonment or both.
Area Office Notified