PERMISSIBLE USES OF MOTOR VEHICLE DATA AS PROVIDED IN
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 18, SECTION 2721
• For use by any government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting
on behalf of a federal, state, or local agency in carrying out its functions.
• For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or
advisories; performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts, and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities, including survey
research; and removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.
• For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors, but only:
(A) to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or its agencies, employees, or contractors; and
(B) if such information as so submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain correct information, but only for the purposes of preventing fraud by,
pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against, the individual.
• For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any federal, state, or local court or agency or before any self-
regulatory body, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or
pursuant to an order of a federal, state, or local court.
• For use in research activities, and for use in producing statistical reports, so long as the personal information is not published, re-disclosed, or used to
• For use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or contractors, in connection with claims
investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating, or underwriting.
• For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
• For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this subsection.
• For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's license that is required under
the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act, 49 U.S.C. §§ 31301-17.
• For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
• For any other use in response to requests for individual motor vehicle records if the state has obtained the express consent of the person to whom such
personal information pertains.
• For bulk distribution for surveys, marketing, or solicitations if the state has obtained the express consent of the person to whom such personal
• For use by any requester, if the requester demonstrates it has obtained the written consent of the individual to whom the information pertains.
• For any other use specifically authorized under the law of the state that holds the record, if such use is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or