March'2020'V1' OFFICIAL'SENSITIVE-PERSONAL'(when'complete)' ' 2
Are you eligible?
Before you proceed with your application, please check that you meet all the following criteria to
ensure that you are eligible to apply to become a police constable.
• You must be 18 years of age or over at the time of applying.
• All applications will be subject to robust medical/security and vetting processes.
• Candidates are advised that at some locations/establishments an enhanced level of vetting
is required which may result in applications being sifted out if they do not meet the required
British Nationality/Residency status. To this end, you must have resided continuously in the
UK for a minimum five-year period immediately prior to your application to join as a new
Police Constable with MDP (with any absence from the UK being no more than six months
in total during this time – see Note 3). The qualifying UK residency period may be
extended to 10 years for certain sensitive postings. If you have resided abroad due to
serving in the British Armed Forces or on UK Government Service, you are considered to
have been resident in the UK. Once your eligibility has been confirmed, you will be asked to
provide further information for both Police Vetting and National Security Vetting
purposes. To be appointed, both aspects of Vetting must be satisfactorily completed.
• Having a previous criminal conviction/s or caution/s, is not an automatic bar to joining the
MDP. You must disclose all convictions/cautions however minor when completing your
application form. We will judge each case on its merits (parking infringements are
• The MDP applies a tattoo and piercings policy. All tattoos are assessed individually. You
must not have tattoos on your face unless they are as a result of cosmetic surgery or a
medical procedure. You must not have any other tattoos which could cause offence to
members of the public or colleagues, indicate alignment with any political party or extremist
group or be considered discriminatory, racist, sexist, sectarian, homophobic, violent,
intimidating or offensive. Tattoos will be assessed against size/prominence/visual impact
and whether they undermine the office of Police Constable. Flesh tunnels/plugs or ear
stretchers, that when removed leave a hole greater than 4mm, provide a significant health
and safety risk and therefore will lead to automatic rejection.
• You must not be registered bankrupt with outstanding debts, have outstanding County
Court Judgments against you or, be subject to a current Individual Voluntary Arrangement
(IVA) in England and Wales. The same criteria is applicable for equivalencies in Scotland.
• You must have a level 2 qualification in English Language and Mathematics at grade
C/level 4 or equivalent (for example Functional Skills Level 2 in these subject areas).
Copies of relevant qualification certificates must be enclosed with the application form.
Qualifications in different subjects are not acceptable irrespective of the level achieved.
• There is currently no requirement for new entrants to have previously attained the
Certificate of Knowledge in Policing.
• You need to hold a full UK manual car driving licence with no more than 6 penalty points.
• You will need to be physically fit and you will need to pass the job-related fitness test
(currently comprising of a bleep test to level 7.6). If you receive a conditional offer of
employment or, are placed into a pool of successful candidates to whom it is intended a
conditional offer will be made when a position arises, you will undergo a medical screening.
You will also need to meet the minimum eyesight standards for corrected (glasses or
contact lenses) and uncorrected vision. More information on the health and fitness
standards are available on the website - www.mod.police.uk
If you are still uncertain as to your eligibility or have any questions, please contact us.