Established systems in line with Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) physical
Implement physical distancing of at least 1.5m wherever possible.
Employers should consider each work task to decide if there is a safer way to do the work with more distance
• place markings on ﬂoors and walls to show safe distances in work, transit and break areas
• consider dierent shift patterns to minimise the number of employees onsite (for example, introducing
morning and afternoon shifts)
• stagger start times, breaks and ﬁnish times to avoid congestion in high trac areas
• minimise employees coming into contact with each other as they move around the site
• plan how to maintain physical distancing during bad weather (for example, use of lunch or crib rooms and
• install temporary physical barriers (for example, fences or screens) between work areas, where
Applied other control measures where it’s not possible to work and maintain physical distancing.
• minimise person-to-person interactions within 1.5m
• minimise the number of individuals involved in activities that need to occur within 1.5m of each other
• provide personal protective equipment (PPE) (for example, gloves, masks and/or face shields)
Note: Minimise employee numbers in restricted spaces (for example, lift shafts).
Face masks in workplaces
There may be a requirement to wear a face covering in your workplace, for example in areas where
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) restrictions apply. Where face coverings are required for
work, it is an employer’s responsibility to provide them to employees. For more information see Managing
coronavirus (COVID-19) risks: Face coverings in workplaces in Related information.
Controls have been identiﬁed and implemented for employees and contractors to maintain good
• displaying hygiene information in prominent locations on the construction site such as tea rooms, site
oces, toilets, foyers, lifts and site entrances
• advising employees to follow good hygiene practices
The employer has provided employees with access to sucient amenities to reduce movement
around the site.
• hand washing facilities such as wash basin, clean running water, soap, paper towels in strategic locations to
ensure employees can access them in a timely manner
• access to hand sanitiser and encouraging regular use
• providing hand sanitiser at site entrances and exits, in all hoists, amenities and other high trac areas of the