West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection MS4 Annual Reporting Form
Last updated: June 15, 2012 Page 6 of 17
VII. MCM 2: Public Involvement and Participation (WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 6-7)
40. Did you complete all the proposed activities and performance measures for this MCM for this
Performance Measure 2a: Opportunities for ongoing public involvement and participation in the SWMP
43. Did you create, or are you in the process of creating, ongoing opportunities for the public to
participate in the development, implementation, and updating of your SWMP?
44. Did you achieve all the goals that you identified in your SWMP related to creating and
maintaining ongoing opportunities for public involvement and participation for this reporting
period? (WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 24, #3)
45. If not, please describe the progress you did make towards achieving your goal(s), and any obstacles and possible
solutions such as revised implementation schedules or revised measurable goals. If you are proposing any
changes to your SWMP goals or schedule, please include them in Section V above.
(WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 24, #4)
46. List and briefly describe each of the activities undertaken during the reporting period to create ongoing
opportunities for the public to participate in your SWMP. (WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 24, #1)
47. Describe how you evaluated the effectiveness of your public participation efforts (citizen attendance at public
hearings, requests for information on your SWMP, hotline activity, etc.).
(WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 24, #2)
48. Describe the steps taken to ensure that public participation opportunities are ongoing and, if necessary,
additional program maintenance activities in future reporting periods to ensure continued participation
opportunities. (WV MS4 2009 General Permit, p. 24, #4)
The annual campus clean-up initiatives have been very productive. We even partnered with a local
church this year to clean up Locust Ave from campus to downtown. We also partnered with the City
and had students help with the stream cleanup of Coal Run. It was explained to the students that all
FSU stormwater goes to this stream. FSU student government took interest in litter on campus and
requested additional recycle/waste cans in areas. FSU adopted to be a tobacco free campus which
has helped with the cigarette butt litter tremendously.
Weekly updates are provided to the President, Presidents cabinet, BOG and HEPC. Online updates
are also available. We have branched out into social media and using FSU's online student portal for
advertising. We also have worked with departments to get MS4 reminders displayed on their
informational TVs for students. Stephanie reaches out to all faculty/staff once a semester to try and
schedule/plan upcoming student projects or events. FSU also has an online form that can be used to
provide input and it submits directly to the physical plant.
Any and all student/faculty/staff/community participation has been recorded. More individuals are
reaching out to Stephanie wanting to participate. FSU's SWMP is provided online for anyone to
access and comment.
Continued supply of information to all parties through multiple media types. Continue to work with IT
and marketing and graphics department to help spread awareness and change the culture on