MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BILLINGS
GRADUATE STUDENT INDEPENDENT STUDY CONTRACT (591)
TO THE STUDENT: Independent study courses permit investigation into topics not covered by existing courses or
allow more concentrated study of topics than is possible in existing courses. Normally, independent study courses
will be authorized only for students whose Plan-of-Study has been approved or who are post-master’s degree.
Exceptions may be granted by the Dean. Once all the required signatures are obtained, the Graduate Studies Office
will turn this form in to the Registrar’s Office in order for you to enroll officially for the independent study. The
Graduate office will provide copies of the form and all attachments for your self, your instructor of record, advisor,
and the unit chair. A copy will be place in your official file.
PLEASE TYPE INFORMATION IN SECTION I (GENERAL INFORMATION), ATTACH THE
REQUESTED MATERIAL, AND OBTAIN THE REQUIRED SIGNATURES.
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
Last Name First Name Middle Name Student ID Number
Street City ST Zip Telephone Number
Student’s Degree, Option and Alternative
1. Has your Plan-of-Study been approved? Yes No Explain: ______________________________
2. Number of credits completed on Plan-of-Study by time independent study begins _________________________
3. Number of independent study credits already approved for inclusion on Plan-of-Study (6 maximum) __________
4. Semester you plan to enroll in this independent study: ______________________________________________
5. ________ _______ _______ _____________________________________________________________
Prefix Number Credits Name of Instructor Supervising Independent Study
6. Proposed Title: ______________________________________________________________________________
7. Abbreviated title for transcript (20 characters): ____________________________________________________
II. REQUIRED ATTACHMENT: On the basis of student/instructor consultation, develop a document,
comparable to course syllabus, which responds to the following questions.
1. Indicate the topic or problem you wish to study. Describe the scope of your project and explain your
purpose for undertaking this independent study.
2. What sources of information will you consult in carrying out this independent study? Indicate as precisely
as possible the reading you will do (books or articles), and provide a preliminary bibliography.
3. What methods or procedures will you use in order to accomplish your objectives?
4. How often do you plan to meet with your instructor?
5. What assignments (paper, exams, etc.) will you submit to the instructor as a basis for evaluation?
III. SIGNATURES Please obtain signatures indicating approval of the course: follow the indicated order.
1. _______________________________________________ 3. ________________________________________
Students Signature Advisor’s Signature
2. _______________________________________________ 4. _______________________________________
Instructor’s Signature Unit Chair’s Signature
Original to Registrar, copies to student, instructor, unit chair, Graduate Studies Office.