(8) Physical and sanitary conditions. All walls, ceilings, floors, pools, showers, bathtubs, steam
rooms and all other physical facilities for the establishment must be in good repair and maintained
in a clean and sanitary condition. Wet and dry heat rooms, steam or vapor rooms or steam or
vapor cabinets, shower compartments, and toilet rooms shall be thoroughly cleaned each day the
business is in operation. Bathtubs shall be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
(9) Towels and linens. Clean and sanitary towels and linens shall be provided for each patron
of the establishment. No common use of towels or linen shall be permitted.
(10) Facilities for employees. A minimum of one separate washbasin shall be provided in each
massage parlor for the use of employees of any such establishment, which basin shall provide
soap or detergent and hot and cold running water at all times and shall be located within or as
close as practicable to the area devoted to the performing of massage services. In addition,
sanitary towels placed in permanently installed dispensers shall be provided at each washbasin.
(11) No alcoholic beverages are to be made available, provided or allowed to be consumed by,
patrons of a massage parlor licensed under this article.
(b) Locational restrictions for massage parlors.
(1) No massage parlor license will be issued if, within 750 feet, there exists the following:
a. A church;
b. A school or child care facility, as defined in the Development Code;
c. A public park;
d. A boundary of any residential zoned district;
e. The property line of a lot devoted to residential use.
(2) No massage parlor license shall be issued for the operation of a massage parlor within 750
feet of another massage parlor or a sexually oriented business licensed pursuant to Article VIII of
(3) For the purposes of Subsections (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section, the distance between any
two massage parlors shall be measured in a straight line, without due regard to intervening
structure or objects, from the closest exterior wall of the structure in which each business is
located. The distance between a massage parlor and the uses listed in Subsections (b)(1)a
through (b)(1)e of this section shall be measured in a straight line, without regard to intervening
structures or objects, from the closest point of the property line of such use to the closest exterior
wall of the structure in which the massage parlor is located.
(4) Any massage parlor lawfully operating on the effective date of this article, which is in
violation of Subsections (b)(1) through (b)(3) of this section, shall be allowed to continue operating
for an amortization period of six months. Six months after this article becomes effective, all
massage parlors must comply with Subsections (b)(1) through (b)(3) of this section and all other
provisions of this article.
(5) A massage parlor lawfully operating is not rendered a nonconforming use by the
subsequent location of a church, a school or child care facility, as defined in the Development
Code, a public park, a residential district, a residential lot, or an adult business; however, if the
massage parlor ceases operation for a period of 180 days or more regardless of any intent to
resume operation, it may not recommence operation in that location.
(Code 1975, § 37-7; Ord. No. 694, 8-11-75; Ord. No. 2403, § 5, 1-8-96)
Sec. 42-380. Procedure for issuance; transferability.
(a) Any applicant for a massage parlor license to be issued pursuant to these provisions shall
submit a completed application, after payment to the City Clerk of the application fee required by
Section 42-377(a)(1), completeness to be determined by the City Clerk's office, which application
will then be submitted to the Police Department. The Chief of Police or designee shall investigate
the application and the background of the applicant and report to the Local Licensing Authority. A
building inspection, fire inspection, and review of the application by the City Development
Department shall be made of the premises proposed for the massage parlor and a report shall be