Dr. H.A. Miller Student Services Center
417 Schepps Blvd., Clovis, NM 88101
Ph. (575) 769-4060 * Fax (575) 769-4027
How to apply for a student loan:
1. Complete a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). CCC School Code: 004743.
2. Check your Pathway Portal or contact the Financial Aid office to complete your financial aid file.
3. Complete the loan certification form. Please make sure it is completely filled out (NO BLANKS!).
4. Complete Entrance Counseling via:
5. Complete Master Promissory Note (first-time borrowers AND/OR haven’t completed one in the last 10
6. Once you have completed all the steps above, turn in your loan application and entrance counseling
review to Chris
Garcia in the financial aid office.
• You will receive an award letter when your loan has been processed.
• Loan checks will not be disbursed without a Master Promissory Note on file with the Department of Education.
• Loan applications will not be certified until all documentation is turned in.
• The processing time for loan applications is approximately 30 days from the time all documentation is
provided and/or Pell file is complete. (This includes having all official transcripts submitted and evaluated.)
CONTACT: Chris Garcia, email@example.com, 575.769.4060
Direct subsidized loan:
A direct subsidized federal loan is a guaranteed loan in which the federal government pays the
interest while you are in school.
Subsidized borrowing limitations:
♦ THE LAW: Congress passed a bill Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (“MAP-21”) which
established time limitations on Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans. This new law will be effective for first
time borrowers and borrowers who have paid off their loans and are borrowing again as of July 1, 2013.
This law allows you to receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans only within 150% of the length of your
program of study.
♦ WHAT IT MEANS: Once you have reached the end of this limit you are no longer able to receive Direct
Stafford Subsidized Loans. Once a borrower reaches the 150% limit he or she will no longer be eligible for
the interest subsidy on all Federal Subsidized Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2013.
♦ KEEP IN MIND:
If in the future you plan on seeking a four-year degree you must subtract eligibility already used.
Changing your degree does NOT reset 150% eligibility.
Enrollment level may influence the calculation of the timeframe used. Examples:
♦ A part-time student (6 credits) who borrows the full amount of the Direct Subsidized Loan
during a period of enrollment that covers a full academic year would have used one-half
of a year against the maximum eligibility period.
♦ A part time student (6 credits) who borrows the full amount of the Direct Subsidized Loan
in a period less than an academic year (Fall only/Spring only) are, on the other hand,
charged a full year against the maximum eligibility period.
Direct unsubsidized loan:
A direct unsubsidized federal loan is a guaranteed loan in which you are responsible for paying
the interest as soon as the loan is disbursed.
Note: Your school must determine your need for a subsidized Federal Stafford Loan before determining your need for an
unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan. Requesting a given loan type does not necessarily mean you will be eligible to receive
that loan type.
Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours).
ANNUAL LOAN LIMITS PER GRADE LEVEL *Dependent students can only receive up to $2,000 for an unsubsidized loan