Lawyers for New Mexico
Request for reduction of outstanding principal balance by 4.5% after receiving 33 on-time monthly
Once a borrower’s certification form is approved, his/her existing account with NMSL will be under consideration for
the future benefit. New Mexico Student Loans reserves the right to terminate this incentive program at any time.
Stafford loans guaranteed between January 1, 2005 and July 1, 2009 by the New Mexico Student Loan
Guarantee Corporation and owned by New Mexico Student Loans.
• Grad PLUS Loans Disbursed on or before June 30, 2009.
• Consolidation loans guaranteed by the New Mexico Student Loan Guarantee Corporation and owned by
New Mexico Student Loans.
Program Eligibility Requirements
1. Borrowers must have graduated from UNM Law School and be working as a full-time practicing Lawyer
either in New Mexico or out of state and providing legal services in a public or private capacity.
2. Borrowers must file a certification form with NMSL annually.
The minimum monthly loan payment is $50.00. Eligible applicants must select the standard repayment
period for this program.
4. Loan(s) for which eligible applicant is seeking the benefit can not be delinquent or in default. All
delinquent or defaulted loans must be brought to current status before borrower may apply for this
program. Deferments or forbearances can not be used as a means to bring delinquent or defaulted loans
5. Borrowers who choose to consolidate with another lender/broker or Direct Lending will lose future
6. Benefits are not retroactive.
7. Parent Plus loans are not eligible for this program.
Loans that receive Lawyers for NM, can not also receive the Pot of Gold principal reduction.
If your loan becomes 90 days delinquent, it will be permantly removed from the program.