NOTES FOR GUIDANCE OF APPLICANTS
The following notes are supplied for assistance in making the application overleaf. Detailed information for the making of all kinds
of applications to the Land Charges Department is contained in Practice Guide 63 – Land Charges – Applications for registration,
official search, office copy and cancellation, which is obtainable on application at the address shown below.
1. Effect of search. The official certificate of the result of this search will have no statutory effect in relation to registered land
(see Land Registration Act 1925, s.59 and Land Charges Act 1972, s.14).
2. Bankruptcy only searches. Form K16 should be used for Bankruptcy only searches.
3. Fees. Fees must be paid by Direct Debit under an authorised agreement with Land Registry or by cheque or postal order made
payable to “Land Registry” (see the Practice Guide referred to above).
4. Names to be searched. The forename(s) and surname of each individual must be entered on the appropriate line of the form.
The name of a company or other body should commence on the forename line and may continue on the surname line (the
words “Forename(s)” and “Surname” should be crossed through). If you are searching more than 6 names, use a second form.
5. Period of years to be searched. The inclusive period to be covered by a search should be entered in complete years, e.g. 1968-
6. County names. This must be the appropriate name as set out in Appendix C to the Practice Guide referred to above. Searches
affecting land within the Greater London area should state “GREATER LONDON” as the county name. ANY RELEVANT
FORMER COUNTY SHOULD ALWAYS BE STATED. Appendix C as referenced above provides relevant guidance.
7. Land description. It is not essential to provide a land description but, if one is given, any relevant former description should
also be given (see the guide referred to above).
8. Key Number. If you have been allocated a key number, please take care to enter this in the space provided overleaf, whether or
not you are paying fees by Direct Debit.
9. Applicant’s name and address. This need not be supplied if the applicant’s key number is correctly entered in the space
10. Applicant’s reference. Any reference must be limited to 25 characters, including any oblique strokes and punctuation.
11. Despatch of this form. When completed, send this application to the address shown below, which is printed in a position so as
to fit within a standard window envelope.
Land Charges Department
Seaton Court, 2 William Prance Road,
PLYMOUTH PL6 5WS
DX 8249 PLYMOUTH (3)
Crown copyright (ref: LR/HO) 10/13