JCU Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) Student Registration
ADDITIONAL SELECTION AND POST-ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Applicants acknowledge that Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students need to have met (and must
continue to meet) NMBA requirements for fitness to practice, police checks, minimum English l
proficiency, recent practice and continuing professional developm ent to remain in this course.
2. Residential school and viva voce clinical examination attendance: Applicants acknowledge that students are
required to undertake a portion of the course via a block and/or limited attendance mode delivery (currently one 5-
day residential school at Townsville Campus). Students are also required to attend a viva voce clinical
examination on the Townsville campus in the final semester of the program. Candidates not resident in the
Townsville region are required to arrange accommodation at their own expense.
3. Immunisations: Applicants acknowledge that students must provide evidence of being immune to hepatitis B
and that they have been vaccinated or evidence that they are not susceptible for the vaccine preventable
diseases (VPD) of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR); Varicella and Pertussis. Professional experience
placement is a requirement of this course and students may be engaged in roles where there is contact that
would allow transmission of a VPD. Students are required to comply with the above requirement prior to
commencing their first Professional Experience Placement or by the end of the first teaching period of their
studies, otherwise their enrolment will be terminated. For more information, refer to the
JCU Student Placement
Procedure and Procedure for Infectious Disease.
4. Suitability to Work with Children Card (blue card): Applicants acknowledge that this course includes prescribed
professional or clinical placements that may involve contact with children under 18 years of age. Students are
required to obtain a Suitability to Work with Children Card (which involves a criminal history check undertaken by
the Queensland Police) before the start of the first placement. Students must retain a current Suitability to Work
with Children Card for the duration of their course, as failure to do so will result in the termination of their
admission to the course. For more information and applications, refer to
Working With Children Check – Blue
5. Australian Federal Police check: Applicants acknowledge that this course includes prescribed professional or
clinical placements. Some placement agencies will require students to produce a current Australian Federal
Police check. This is in addition to the requirements for a Blue Card. Students must provide written confirmation
of clearance to the Professional Placement Unit prior to commencement of clinical placement. Application
documents can be accessed at: Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Criminal History Check
6. Applicants acknowledge that students must comply with the JCU Policy for Review of a Student’s Suitability to
Continue a Course Involving Clinical Placement. This policy outlines JCU’s duty of care to ensure students
undertaking clinical placements are academically, behaviourally, emotionally and ethically prepared for the
demands of the placement.
7. Applicants acknowledge that students must comply with the following NMBA standards at all times: Code of
Ethics for Nurses; Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses; and National Competency Standards for Nurse
8. Applicants acknowledge the additional requirements for eligibility for endorsement as a nurse practitioner as
specified in the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia’s Endorsement as a Nurse Practitioner Registration
Standard they must meet on seeking endorsement as a nurse practitioner on the completion of this course..
9. Applicants acknowledge that in compliance with the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act (2009),
AHPRA must be notified if a student undertaking proscribed professional or clinical placement has an
impairment that may place the public at risk or harm.
10. To complete the application, the Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) applicant must acknowledge that they
have read the Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) Course Manual
and agree to the conditions of enrolment
into the JCU Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) program.
ACKNOWLEDGED by the MASTER OF NURSING (NURSE PRACTITIONER) STUDENT APPLICANT
click to sign
click to edit