Sioux Falls School District 49-5
JOB TITLE: ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
208 Day Contract (10 month) Level C
A. Education Level: Master’s degree in an approved program which
qualifies for elementary principal certification with the
state of South Dakota.
B. Experience Desired: A minimum of four years’ teaching experience at the
elementary level and previous administrative or
administrator intern experience.
C. Physical Requirements: This position requires constant hand-eye/mind-eye
coordination, hearing; intermittent walking, talking,
writing. Frequent keyboarding and repetitive motions
with wrists, fingers, and hands are required.
D. Other Requirements: Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Knowledge of the best educational practices and
effective schools research.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
Assistant Superintendent - Administrative Services
Assistant Superintendent – Curriculum & Instruction
DATE: Revised January 2019
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. Assumes responsibility for the administration of assigned building.
2. Assists in assignment of all staff members, including hiring of new staff.
3. Assumes responsibility for the supervision and evaluation of all employees assigned
to the building.
4. Promotes and supervises an effective instructional program which is consistent
with the District curriculum.
5. Monitors student achievement and works with the teachers to improve student
6. Provides leadership in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation
along with other administrators.
7. Administers the building budget, requisitions needed supplies and materials in
compliance with state regulations, policies and regulations of the school board.