Page 2 of 5
• Minimum cumulative LIFE GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. NOTE: Your TCL GPA may not be the same as your LIFE GPA.
TCL’s grading policy allows students to repeat a course in order to earn a higher GPA. TCL uses the highest grade for the
course to calculate your TCL GPA (this is also different from your Title IV GPA Calculation). The LIFE GPA calculates all
college level grades from every college you attended in the grade point average.
• Annual credit hour requirement: minimum of 30 earned non-developmental/bridge/remedial credit hours after the first
year of college. Developmental and bridge credit hours a student completes prior to the beginning of the fall term do not
count toward earned hours.
• Students whose initial college enrollment begins spring semester (i.e. January), have renewal requirements of 15 credit hours
and a 3.0 LIFE GPA prior to the beginning of the fall term, and earn 30 credit hours per year. For example, a student must
have 15 credit hours between the spring 2018/Summer 2018 terms and must then earn and additional 30 credit hours by the
end of the summer 2020 term to continue using the Scholarship for the fall 2020 semester. (All other criteria remain the same
to be considered for eligibility).
• If the student fails to earn the 3.0 LIFE GPA or complete the required number of credit hours during the fall and/or spring
term, the student may attend the summer semester to compensate for the deficit. The LIFE Scholarship will not cover
expenses for the summer semester, students cannot receive lottery in the summer term, and typically students do not have
any Pell funding available. Please speak with the Financial Aid Office prior to the posted deadlines to discuss your
• If you are transferring to TCL from another institution, you must provide your most recent and final official transcripts from
your previous institution and then notify the TCL Financial Aid Office once those transcripts are on file.
• The TCL Financial Aid Office may also request that you get a statement from your previous school noting the receipt of your
scholarship, amount and terms.
• TCL’s LIFE Affidavit must also be completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office.
Students who earned a 3.0 or higher high school GPA but are enrolled in at least three developmental/bridge credits (see
below) and less than 12 non-developmental/bridge credits, qualify to have their LIFE scholarship waived, placed on hold,
or put into a grace period while completing the remediation classes. (The need for remediation is determined by
performance on the college placement exam, or Accuplacer Test. If you feel you could have placed higher and have not
yet started your English or College Math Sequence at TCL, please contact TCL’s testing center at 843-470-8400 to
discuss your retest options. Practice tests and questions are available prior to taking the test; please ask the Testing
Coordinator for more information.
• During remediation, the student can receive lottery tuition assistance if enrolled in at least six credits and meeting all other
• A student has only two terms of remediation.
• Any college level credits earned during this time will not go towards student's annual credit hour requirement.
• Once the student's remediation period is over and the student enrolls in at least 12 college level credits in the immediate fall
term, they can begin receiving the LIFE scholarship based on high school requirements. See full details at
• Students who are ineligible beginning with the fall term cannot be eligible for the scholarship again until the following fall
term. All other eligibility requirements must have been met.
• Exception: Students, who met the high school GPA requirement but not the minimum enrolled 12 credit hour requirements in
the fall can receive LIFE in the spring semester. However, students must meet the minimum 12 college level credit hour
The Technical College of the Lowcountry is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, national origin, age,
religion, marital status, veteran status, disability or political affiliation or belief. LIFE Affidavit to reflect H.3906 and the LIFE Scholarship Regulations as defined by the Student Services
Division of SC Commission on Higher Education for LIFE. Form revised 03/20/19
TCL’s Developmental and Bridge Classes:
The following classes do not count toward your full-time (12 credit hours) enrollment status or toward the annual
credit hour requirement (15; 30 or 45) for the LIFE Scholarship.